OVERKILL: November 2021 --- RELEASED

Add-On's, Modifications, and Total Conversions discussions

Moderators: TheTalentedMrLeo, ronwolf1705, Dean

Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Post by Thomas »

ronwolf1705 wrote:Or another suggestion: perhaps something with advanced coding, because as far as I know you have never done that before (not even with floor/ceiling textures right?). So that could be interesting.
That's already in there. This is heavily coded. I don't know if I've posted the features down, I probably have numerous times, it's just that all the useful stuff is on the Haven forums.

I'll make up a list when the first coded EXE is available. :tup:
Dean
<b>Moderator</b>

Post by Dean »

Great to hear that everything is still on track Thomas. :)

I have to be honest and say that I don't think much of the new title though, my recommendation would be to stay with the old one.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Post by Thomas »

I love the title. "Wolf Overkill" looks so fractured and stupid. "Wolfenstein: The Last Howl" it is! :D
ronwolf1705
<b>Moderator</b>

Post by ronwolf1705 »

I think The Last Howl makes it stand out more as opposed to Overkill, which is a bit more of a clichéd Wolf-mod name. :mrgreen:
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Post by Thomas »

That's what I thought. "Overkill" was originally also a pun, seeing it's such a huge mod.
WSJ
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Re: Wolfenstein: The Last Howl (aka "Overkill")

Post by WSJ »

deleted...
Last edited by WSJ on Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheTalentedMrLeo
Forum Administrator
<b>Forum Administrator</b>

Wolfenstein: The Last Howl (aka "Overkill")

Post by TheTalentedMrLeo »

This topic has been unlocked by request of the author.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Wolfenstein: The Last Howl (aka "Overkill")

Post by Thomas »

Thanks, Leo. It's nice to finally be able to post an update on this long forgotten, one-time hopeless project.

Since this project got squashed in early 2012, I more or less tried to restart it, in spirit at least, each time I would set out to do a new mod. Earlier this year, it dawned on me that now was the time to actually get something done about it. The currently available version of this mod dates to November 2009 and features some pretty inadequate, unimaginative mapping which was nothing like the project I had envisioned. The later versions of this mod, anything made after May 2010, is long lost and deleted - with the exception of the maps that survived in either Time to Kill or that one level in The Iron Dream which somehow made its way into that mod.

In May, I discovered a version of this in my archive of all the old files that dates to May 2010. This features 14 finished maps. Several of these maps have never been released in any form. The remainder of them are re-works and cleaned up versions of those featured in the November 2009 version. I used these maps as the initiation, and built this new mod around them. None of the maps have been simply straightly lifted; they have all been retouched in some manner - some more than others. But now it's almost November, and 45 levels have been made.

The original Wolf Overkill featured coding by Havoc; the November 2009 version features quite a lot of that too, but his most recent build, October 2011, was ripe with features, some of them too fancy for me to handle at the time. Luckily, this EXE still exists. But I chose to wipe the slate clean, and instead sign on AlumiuN for the project, as we have already done a heap of mods together. I wanted to add as much as possible as I could from the original Wolf Overkill.

Now simply titled OVERKILL, the mod features some major coding changes. Some of them are:

* Many new enemies
* Two new weapons - missile launcher and chainsaw
* Motorbike
* Exploding oil drums
* Collapsing columns
* Tesla coils that can be switched on and off
* God mode
* Teleports
* 3D directional sprites
* Animated objects

More exciting screenshots coming soon. Lol.

New music is also featured. I have found a slew of music from either DOOM, Blake Stone, Corridor 7 sprinkled with a few remixed songs by AstroCreep. There's also an old, familiar Wolf Skevos-Jones composition in there somewhere.

I was happy to get some mapping assistance; 41 out of the 45 new maps are all mine, but I would like to thank ack, Orka and Wolf3DGuy for contributing wonderful and challenging maps to the set.

The mod, originally envisioned to hold 100 levels, has been adjusted many times in terms of length. I settled on 45 as it seemed doable, more exciting for the player and eliminated the risk of the time taking on the mod being far too long, which I think is one of the most vital things that drove the old mod off the cliff after a few years.

All bosses from Spear of Destiny and Wolfenstein 3D are featured, and some have been re-colored with beautiful new uniforms and colors courtesy of Wolf Skevos-Jones.

Gerolf helped out greatly at the beginning, with the title screen being based on an image he made. But as he is taking a break at the moment, I am badly in need of somebody to help me with beta testing this mod. The mod is practically finished. All I need is to iron out the kinks, though by far and large my experience making this mod has been pleasant and bug-free.

I realize it's been 10+ years since a proper update has been heard on this project. It was a project that sent me over the edge for a while, but recently I've felt a lot more positive about it and wanted to finally finish it off, properly for once. I expect this mod to be out within the coming weeks.
Raziel
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Post by Raziel »

Nice one thomas! cant wait to try it out :beer2:
And the motorbike too, just how I like it.. Running down nazis with style 8)
Raziel A.
ToMi
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

Post by ToMi »

That's great! I'll definitely check it out after it releases.
WSJ
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

OVERKILL: November 2021!

Post by WSJ »

I'm so glad that Overkill is finally coming together. It's inspiring to see such a mod being resurrected from the abyss, even after nearly a decade later. Maybe it's never too late after all...

I'm (still) looking forward to playing this mod!
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Post by Thomas »

Wolf, you've been a great help and an important part in the succession of this mod. It is now growing ever closer to release, still being tested and still needing just one tweak to an IMF file. Meanwhile, some screenshots...

Kaboom! Missed you by an inch, baldy!

Some funky designs you Nazis got here. Is that fuchsia?

Hmm... No way I'll be able to survive in this cesspit. What to do?

Those duds look like they might keep some of the greenish goo at bay. And besides, BJ Blazkowicz looks good in anything.

Yeah baby! 90 seconds wallowing on toxic floors o' fun!
Tris
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Post by Tris »

Thanks, now I can’t wait anymore.
*sobs*
Raziel
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Post by Raziel »

Wow a radiation suit haha thats neat man! Looking forward to play it :) and the fuchsia? Haha those are some fashionable nazis there!
Raziel A.
WolferCooker
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

Post by WolferCooker »

I had long given up hope that Overkill would be worked on again. What an update Thomas!

And hi WSJ!!! If this is a dream don't wake me up from it! It's so good to see you again man!

Feelin' a little like the old days again!
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

OVERKILL: November 2021!

Post by Thomas »

All right, you guys.

Finishing this project is a big deal for me. Many of the visions I had back in the summer of 2009 has finally flowered into an entertaining, dynamic mod. I would not have been able to do it without the great coding chops from AlumiuN, wonderful assistance from Wolf Skevos-Jones, and many thanks also go out to Wolf3DGuy and Orka, in addition to ack, whose last collaboration with me was in 2005 during the finishing stages of Nazi Operation. Gerolf made the sprite featured on the title screen and assisted with a few VGA chunks before disappearing. Miss him a lot. AstroCreep assisted me greatly with some musical assistance, with much of the music coming from other much beloved games in addition to a few "actual" songs. Also many thanks go out to Serpens who, in lieu of having a beta tester (We still miss you, Gerolf!) put great time and energy into checking out if this mod goes into chaos mode if something goes wrong. Luckily this has proved not to be the case. Again, this is a 99 % sure deal that nothing strange will happen. The mod has more or less been completely bug-free for a long, long time.

I was very proud when I first started this project more than a decade ago, too proud perhaps. I was very pig-headed about what I wanted and how to present it, as I was very insecure and felt very left out in terms of making mods on a large-scale foundation. I remember clearly when Havoc and I first started this project that I wanted to out-do End of Destiny, Coming of the Storm and Totengraeber, all rolled into one. Brass balls for sure, though ever so hollow. Long story short, I got in over my head and could not handle the pressure I had put on myself for this mod, and its cancellation and demise has pained me immensely in terms of modding activity in many years after its initial cancellation in early 2012. This year, after having had a good run and feeling very good about making mods again for the past few years, it is finally here - even better than I had originally envisioned it. As mentioned earlier, the initial goal was those god damn 100 maps and who knows how many coding changes... In the long run I got completely lost at sea. This new mod - now simply titled OVERKILL - brings, in my opinion, the best of both worlds together for me. There is room for experimentation and excitable coding changes, but the love for classic Wolf 3D (which I am no longer ashamed of) is definitely still felt.

The mod is dedicated to Havoc and the long, hard work he put into the original mod. It's still one of the most extensive EXE files I have ever worked with, if not the most extensive. AlumiuN did an amazing job in implementing what I wanted for this new relaunch, and though I can now sign off on this project satisfactorily, I will definitely keep this EXE for future projects. It's simply too easy to have fun with. And that's why we're all here in the first place, right?

Some fresh shots...

Boom! Explosive fun never gets old.

Holy smokes that is some coat. Versace?

Incoming... Kablammo! Right in the kisser!

Checkmate, you bastard!

Don't shoot! I'm simply admiring the color-blocking scheme.

DOWNLOAD THE MOD HERE...

I hope you like it. I am both relieved and satisfied to finally, FINALLY be able to put out this mod. Enjoy!
Last edited by Thomas on Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quartzdoll
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Post by quartzdoll »

Dropbox has become pita. It hates all adblock addons on my browser and also download managers. I had to switch off the addons and downloaded file with browser. It took me 10 min to figure out why dropbox not showing file list. Enjoyed bike ride in level - 1, riding over enemies killing them but we also losing power with that accident which i didn't like :P

Like your general coding to put enemies at strategic corners which makes the game intense and need more alert to step forward. I reloaded saved games dozens of times to avoid enemy shots properly :D
serpens
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Post by serpens »

I'd say something, but you already know wot I think and nobody else cares. Still a pretty neat mod, perfect to fill the long wait for the next Loganstein episode.
Tricob
<b>Moderator</b>

Post by Tricob »

Downloaded, extracted, and ran the game without a problem. I've been wanting to see the finished product for a while now, and the first level delivers the trial-and-error approach without getting tiresome. Thanks for the upload; I'll give more feedback when I make more progress. :)
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Post by AlumiuN »

Glad I could be a part of this finally seeing the light of day :)

(it is funny to note that the feature I'm most proud of implementing is not mentioned or present in any screenshots :D )
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Post by Thomas »

I'm absolutely awful at screenshots. Lol. I think I know which one you mean. Soon as I learned how to use it properly it opened up tons of new possibilities for me. I promise I'll use it even more in our next project.
WolferCooker
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

OVERKILL: November 2021 --- RELEASED

Post by WolferCooker »

Either this was intentional, I'm blind as shit, or I might have found a problem... I can't access that room and I looked into it on Chaosedit. I don't see a way in. No silver key to access that secret silver door either if it ties in to that room.

If this was meant to be an inaccessible area, then it just killed the 100% run right there.
quartzdoll
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Post by quartzdoll »

There are few bugs left that i am finding slowly. I guess in 2nd floor there is a locked room without a key for that in which a guard exists ( i think red key). I finished opening all secret places in the level but final stats say only 80% secrets. And in 4th floor when i shoot guards they are supposed to leave bullets after killed. But that bullet sprite is blinking fast as a chain gun and a bullet alternately. There is a gold cross in room beside which again blinking like a cross and bullet. I am not using cheat code.
serpens
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Post by serpens »

^ As far as I could tell, all secrets on map 2 can be reached, you just have to keep looking better. And the blinking objects thing is not a bug...
ToMi
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

Post by ToMi »

quartzdoll wrote:There are few bugs left that i am finding slowly. I guess in 2nd floor there is a locked room without a key for that in which a guard exists ( i think red key). I finished opening all secret places in the level but final stats say only 80% secrets. And in 4th floor when i shoot guards they are supposed to leave bullets after killed. But that bullet sprite is blinking fast as a chain gun and a bullet alternately. There is a gold cross in room beside which again blinking like a cross and bullet. I am not using cheat code.
Regarding the 2nd floor: The enemy either heard me or chase me through the door, so I was able to kill him and block the door. There is nothing else in that room though.
quartzdoll
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Post by quartzdoll »

i shooted at door but he didn't do anything. :) using cheat i got key to see him inside and shooted for full stats. kills and treasure are 100% but secrets still 80%.
serpens wrote:^ As far as I could tell, all secrets on map 2 can be reached, you just have to keep looking better. And the blinking objects thing is not a bug...
Used hwe editor and saw all secrets in 2nd level and confirmed that i reached all of them several times. Not sure if some more secret is hiding without showing in the map.

I got bored from 3rd level and stopped looking for 100% stats. Not using editor to see secrets. Just going on without caring stats.

Using editor and craving to get full stats will spoil the interest on game. :roll:
serpens
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Post by serpens »

I played through map 2 twice and got 100% secrets both times, so whatever is going on, I'm pretty sure map 2 is not at fault. Still curious about that room in map 4 though
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Post by Thomas »

Teleports.
WolferCooker
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

Post by WolferCooker »

Yeah I just found the silver key after a hour or so searching on map 4. I am indeed blind as hell...
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Post by Thomas »

Well just remember to have fun. When I would play Spear Resurrection or End of Destiny and find a room otherwise impossible to locate I would be very, very happy. Some of the levels are quite large, and might take some time to navigate in. That said, there are plenty of smaller levels to create a more natural dynamic rather than just having colossus after colossus after colossus. That can end up being quite a grind, especially with 40+ level sets. Just imagine if I had gone for the full 100!