Tricob's WIP mod - WolfDX

Add-On's, Modifications, and Total Conversions discussions

Moderators: Dean, ronwolf1705, TheTalentedMrLeo

Tricob
<b>Moderator</b>

Tricob's WIP mod - WolfDX

Post by Tricob »

For all the talk I've done about working on my own mod, I think it's about time to show at least a modest screenshot of it. What you see is just a quickly-done sample map. Doesn't the "frame" of the picture look terrible? That's Mac graphics for ya (aside from the Jaguar weapon images, and my treasure sprite).

Last edited by Tricob on Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mbender
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Post by mbender »

Some great looking graphics there Tricob!
Tricob
<b>Moderator</b>

Post by Tricob »

Thanks. When I changed the game's palette, most of the sprites, walls, and VGAGRAPH images were whacked-out colors for quite a while. It was a real eyesore ... lots of greys were way too bright, browns were in all sorts of places they didn't belong, the Level Completed screen was practically unreadable, and BJ looked like death warmed over. It took a long, long time and a lot of hard work was done before the game was even close to being ready for a screenshot.
Tricob
<b>Moderator</b>

Tricob's new mod - A sneak peak ...

Post by Tricob »

Interactive Objects enabled. In addition to the Ammo Crate you see below, there's four tables that carry items you can pick up. *But* the objects on the table are so big that they look goofy. Oh, well. I'll get it fixed somehow.

Now, with a press of the Spacebar:

... you get the contents of the crate.

Tricob
<b>Moderator</b>

Post by Tricob »

Yes, ladies and gentlemen ... every item on those tables can be picked up. :2cool:

Not all crates ...

... are safe to open. Ouch!

mbender
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Post by mbender »

I'd been wondering when someone would finally do the objects-on-tables thing - makes a lot more sense than scooping chicken dinners up off the floor (of course, WL Hack - I think - has already done the desk-drawer-opening thing, which is another improvement along the same lines).
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Post by AlumiuN »

Nice. The ammo box adds quite a nice bit of realism too (who can carry around four of those boxes?). I like the on-table thing, though. I'm adding a second static object plane to my mod, I might try to do something similar. Again, nice.
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Post by doomjedi »

I'm very impressed. It's a dream come true. Adds much to wolf3d realism, making it even more real than many other games, and not only on wolf3d engine.

Though to put things on tables for low-res wolf3d mods will be quite a challenge to make them noticable and recognizable.

If you need graphic help - just ask :)
Tricob
<b>Moderator</b>

Post by Tricob »

doomjedi wrote:I'm very impressed. It's a dream come true. Adds much to wolf3d realism, making it even more real than many other games, and not only on wolf3d engine.
Thank you for saying this, D.J.. I actually thought the same thing myself, but thought it was just me. :)
If you need graphic help - just ask :)
Thanks. I still need a good 128x128 sink sprite, which I haven't managed to get looking right on my own. Images with skeletons also need touching up so they won't look so pixelated (Skeleton In Cage, Skeleton On Floor, etc.).

You'll need my newest version of the palette; the one I posted in the Artist's Archive is slightly out-of-date. I'll prepare the ZIP with ChaosEdit files and anything else you should need to get the work done.

Again, thanks for your offer. :)
Tricob
<b>Moderator</b>

Post by Tricob »

AlumiuN wrote:I like the on-table thing, though. I'm adding a second static object plane to my mod, I might try to do something similar..
No need to do anything that heavy-handed; just check out the code for "Pushable Objects" that BT posted in Feature Fanatics; in it is the Treasure Chest concept that Dugtrio17 introduced. It's the Treasure Chest code that I use as a base for all these Interactive Objects.
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Post by AlumiuN »

Oh, I know full well I could do that with one plane. It's just that I can then use one table sprite for a whole raft of items.
Tricob
<b>Moderator</b>

Post by Tricob »

You could. Or you could enable transparent walls, design a crate or box wall image that's half the height of a full-size texture, then have a Static Object placed "on top" of it. I'm considering this idea myself.
Tricob
<b>Moderator</b>

Post by Tricob »

I want to let you all know that I haven't forgotten about the construction kit for this mod. I'm currently making a sample map for the kit so users can learn more quickly how to use the new walls and objects. I'm also not real happy with SYMBOLS.BMP's current status and might make some more map symbols for it before release.
Tricob
<b>Moderator</b>

Post by Tricob »

The symbols for the construction kit are complete, and a fellow user will be looking them over.

In the meantime, I actually fixed the misaligned knife images so you can easily tell where the knife is aimed. I also fixed the pistol sprites so they don't block your view every time you fire a shot. I might add an extra Adlib sound effect before release; I have a minor sound idea in mind. :)
Tricob
<b>Moderator</b>

Post by Tricob »

The tester for the construction kit helped me realize that I've modified the VSWAP since I released the DOS Version of WolfDX. I therefore finished up several more treasure sprites and sent the VSWAP to Brian. I also fixed the pistol and knife images so these two weapons are as easy to use as those in the original game. The update is now downloadable from the Wolf3D Dome.
Dean
<b>Moderator</b>

Post by Dean »

I think I found a problem in this Tricob. I was playing through the first level of the Episode that I made (Ep. 3) and realized that the secret doors in some sections only slid back 2 spaces meaning that I was unable to get into some of the secret areas. Wasn't sure if you were aware of this or not.
mbender
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Post by mbender »

The graphics look superb Tricob, really detailed and life-like (for Wolf, anyway!). It kind of has a Wolf-for-Mac feel, but of course with 8-sided guards and interesting Trico-maps. Did you do all the mapping yourself? I recognised a few of them from previous releases.
Tricob
<b>Moderator</b>

Tricob's new mod - WolfDX

Post by Tricob »

Work on the VGAGRAPH is now 99% complete. Everything in the Level Completed screen appears correct. All that's missing is the "cinematics" in the self-running demo.
Dean wrote:I think I found a problem in this Tricob. I was playing through the first level of the Episode that I made (Ep. 3) and realized that the secret doors in some sections only slid back 2 spaces meaning that I was unable to get into some of the secret areas. Wasn't sure if you were aware of this or not.
Thanks for mentioning this. I actually did realize that, and intended to let the Pushwall moves three squares instead of two if you put the "Invalid" wall into Square (0,0) of the map. That feature was never enabled, and I forgot to mention it. Sorry. :(
mbender wrote:The graphics look superb Tricob, really detailed and life-like (for Wolf, anyway!). It kind of has a Mac-Wolf feel, but of course with 8-sided guards and interesting Trico-maps. Did you do all the mapping yourself? I recognised a few of them from previous releases.
Well, all maps are from "Wolfenstein 3D: Community Map Pack", so I did about two episodes-worth (E1L1-E1L4, E1L9-E10, E4L1-E4L5, and E6L4-E6L5). As for the wall images, thanks - I'm proud of how it's come out so far, and I've done a little more; all but two walls ("GB w/map", light and dark) for the Grey Bricks are now complete, and my final new treasure sprite is now finished. I was meaning to place a screenshot of the new work here tonight, but it didn't happen. :)
Dean
<b>Moderator</b>

Post by Dean »

I'm not too sure how the others feel about you re-releasing their maps but I've kind of got a little bit of a problem if you're going to keep referring to this as 'YOUR' mod. I'm not trying to cause a major problem here but this has been kind of bugging me and I've been wanting to say something for a little while about it now.

Really, unless you tend to replace the levels with only your work then I'm of the thinking that this should be released as a 'Community mappack: SE' or something like that as I know that you certainly didn't ask me (Not sure about the others) for permission to re-use the levels for your own purpose's.

I'm not making any demands here about what you do with this or anything but maybe you should have discussed this with us first before re-releasing our levels in this?
Tricob
<b>Moderator</b>

Post by Tricob »

Dean wrote:I'm not too sure how the others feel about you re-releasing their maps but I've kind of got a little bit of a problem if you're going to keep referring to this as 'YOUR' mod. I'm not trying to cause a major problem here but this has been kind of bugging me and I've been wanting to say something for a little while about it now.
Yes, you've got a good point there. While I do intend to release a full mod's-worth of new levels, I didn't have them at the time WolfDX was released, and releasing the full 60-level version of the original with one or two new maps - That probably would've gotten me into trouble. :zipper:
Really, unless you tend to replace the levels with only your work then I'm of the thinking that this should be released as a 'Community mappack: SE' or something like that as I know that you certainly didn't ask me (Not sure about the others) for permission to re-use the levels for your own purpose's.
Sorry - my mistake. I honestly thought I had asked you about this, but going by your reply here, I obviously didn't. Now that I think about it, I didn't ask Brian, either. My apologies to anyone I didn't ask first. :(

I do intend the finished mod to have all the Community Map Pack levels replaced, if that's a help. :)
Schabbs
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Tricob's new mod - WolfDX

Post by Schabbs »

Tricob wrote: Now that I think about it, I didn't ask Brian, either. My apologies to anyone I didn't ask first. :(

I do intend the finished mod to have all the Community Map Pack levels replaced, if that's a help. :)
I only made one level for it anyways but I am ok with it being included in the set.
Brian.
Cat Productions - mapper
Tricob
<b>Moderator</b>

Post by Tricob »

Thanks. :)
mbender
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Post by mbender »

I'm sure there's something interesting behind the gold key door on E2L1 but can't for the life of me find the key. Can anyone help with a clue?
dcbasic
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Post by dcbasic »

Cool mod. I hate using DOS so I didn't play it too long but nice work.
TheTalentedMrLeo
Forum Administrator
<b>Forum Administrator</b>

Post by TheTalentedMrLeo »

jasonbay wrote:is there going to be a tutorial on how to get an item only by pressing spacebar? and for sprites to work with so i can take it off the table then it dissapear?
Since you've already asked this question in two separate threads, I am deleting your post.
Schabbs
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Post by Schabbs »

mbender wrote:I'm sure there's something interesting behind the gold key door on E2L1 but can't for the life of me find the key. Can anyone help with a clue?
There is no gold key on E2L1. There are 2 cyan keys on this level (one of them in a secret area) so maybe one of these were meant to be a gold key.
Brian.
Cat Productions - mapper
mbender
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Post by mbender »

Thanks Brian. Here's the locked door I'm talking about:

As you can see, I already have one (cyan?) key and was able to use that to open the other locked door leading to the exit elevator. So presumably some other key is needed to open the door in the screenshot :-?

I've looked everywhere for secret areas....
Tricob
<b>Moderator</b>

Post by Tricob »

dcbasic wrote:Cool mod. I hate using DOS so I didn't play it too long but nice work.
Thanks. The complete version *will* be written for Windows, as the DOS4GW version won't let me use the 3rd Plane in the maps (floor/ceiling textures).

Re: Locked door. I'll look it over today.
Schabbs
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Post by Schabbs »

mbender wrote:Thanks Brian. Here's the locked door I'm talking about:

As you can see, I already have one (cyan?) key and was able to use that to open the other locked door leading to the exit elevator. So presumably some other key is needed to open the door in the screenshot :-?

I've looked everywhere for secret areas....
I've just checked out the map and it shows the locked door in the screenshot opens with a yellow key. The area behind the door leads eventually to a secret level elevator. There is no yellow key anywhere on the level so it looks like the second cyan key placed in a secret area should be a yellow key instead.
Brian.
Cat Productions - mapper
Tricob
<b>Moderator</b>

Post by Tricob »

Yep; it might be my fault, as I remember somewhere down the line, I was running ChaosEdit, and I clicked the mouse button by accident while in Map Mode, and I could never track down what I changed. (blush) Sorry about that. :(