ECWolf - Advanced Source Port

Chat on the Original Wolfenstein 3d Game

Moderators: Dean, ronwolf1705, Arielus

Per-Scn
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

Post by Per-Scn »

Just wanted to say good luck with an eventual release. I really think the W3D community could really benefit from a project like this. :)
Blzut3
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Post by Blzut3 »

Time for another update. Everything on that list besides "Merge Spear of Destiny code" is done. So that "private beta" I mentioned will be starting shortly. :)

As usual I welcome anyone with a compiler to give it a shot as well.
Per-Scn
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

Post by Per-Scn »

Great news! I understand that your working on ZDoom too so it's always nice to see this project move forward. :)
aardwolf94

Post by aardwolf94 »

Just found out about this project today and luckily it's almost done! Great work! :D
Blzut3
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Post by Blzut3 »

So the beta program is going fairly well and I've gotten some good feedback. Current status is finishing up some final features and waiting for the tech demo to be finished. At which point I'll be sending release candidates off to the testers.

With that announcement out of the way, I would like to get some opinions on an issue. Currently in ECWolf, if you start a game and then go into the menu, pressing escape will return you to the game a la every modern game since Doom. So far one person has shown a preference for the old behavior of it acting as "Quit." What do you prefer ECWolf do? I can add it as an option if there are others that would like the vanilla behavior here, but since the general opinion towards the change seems to be positive it's definitely going to use the new behavior by default. (If a game isn't started then escape still acts as "Quit.")
Per-Scn
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

Post by Per-Scn »

The more options, the better as far as I'm concerned. One of the things that is slowly killing the Wolf community, in my opinion, is being painted into a corner with regards to what an engine should offer in terms of player features. There are loads of new and fancy features and expansions for, say Wolf4SDL, yet the de facto standard is the presumption that players still don't want to circle-strafe in a Wolf game...

So, yeah, I'd like it as an option. That way old schoolers can have the behaviour they expect while not alienating potential newcomers to the game. :)
Blzut3
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Post by Blzut3 »

Per-Scn wrote:One of the things that is slowly killing the Wolf community, in my opinion, is being painted into a corner with regards to what an engine should offer in terms of player features.
This is definitely true. The ZDoom community actually seems more excited about this port, so the players are there and with them potentially a new generation of mod authors. You know, people who think the Wolf3D TC for ZDoom is actually accurate.
Per-Scn wrote:So, yeah, I'd like it as an option. That way old schoolers can have the behaviour they expect while not alienating potential newcomers to the game. :)
The problem in this case is more I want to know that there are people that actually want to use the feature, but I guess you're right that I should probably play it conservatively at the start.
Blzut3
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Post by Blzut3 »

So I kind of made a low key announcement of this already, but ECWolf will be releasing publicly on September 18th.
ThunderEnema
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Post by ThunderEnema »

Awesome... I'll definitely be using this port for future projects! Still just getting use to SDL though. :)
"When I see someone wearing crocs in public, I have all the information I need to know that I will never get along with that person." -Me
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Post by doomjedi »

"Team RayCast" has some possible plans for it as well. So we are waiting for it's release.

Are "ROTT-type" vertically duplicated walls implemented in this one? I remember your first screenshot of the project showed such a feature, which was gone from later screenshots.

What are the editors that work with this engine? Is is Doom map editors? Wolf3D map editors?

Artwise - what kind of palette and artfiles are supported? Resolutions?

Can you pinpoint the differences between this and zDoom? What can we do more easily with this one - that we can't with zDoom?
Or is it just "zDoom without full ACS support"?
Blzut3
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Post by Blzut3 »

doomjedi wrote:Are "ROTT-type" vertically duplicated walls implemented in this one? I remember your first screenshot of the project showed such a feature, which was gone from later screenshots.
I don't recall releasing any screen shots with ROTT-style rooms. This release does not have a Z-axis (note that there are still some things in decorate that reference a Z-axis so there will be a forwards compatibility guide of sorts), that will be coming in 2.0. Besides the map editors need to implement the new map format to really even be able to use such features.
doomjedi wrote:What are the editors that work with this engine? Is is Doom map editors? Wolf3D map editors?
ECWolf reads map dumps from WDC. (The reason being is that Adam is the only one who has so far said that the text map format will be supported.) This is the wolf engine so same map restrictions apply there, but you can have oversized maps (and even non-square ones in theory) without any issues.
doomjedi wrote:Artwise - what kind of palette and artfiles are supported? Resolutions?
The palette and art is handled by ZDoom code, so the same formats apply. The only difference is build art resources are not supported, and no voxels yet. There are no restrictions on resolution except for on the floor/ceiling textures which at this time must be 64x64. (That restriction will be removed in a later 1.x release.)
doomjedi wrote:Can you pinpoint the differences between this and zDoom? What can we do more easily with this one - that we can't with zDoom?
Or is it just "zDoom without full ACS support"?
This is Wolf4SDL with some ZDoom code merged. So we have the same renderer from Wolf4SDL, the same 70hz tic rate, etc. In terms of editing features I basically had to start from scratch, but with heavy inspiration from ZDoom (the DECORATE code is new from scratch and contains some additions to accurately represent Wolf's actors). It is true that some features come directly from the ZDoom code that was pulled in, but please note that during the testing releases I focused more on making sure the engine is playable. (So to reiterate, 1.0 basically indicates the point where Wolf3D and Spear of Destiny are playable with one binary. At the same time I avoided doing any hard coded hacks to support this.)

What you can do with ECWolf over ZDoom is limited to minor game play details.

Here are the release notes if you would like to read them: http://maniacsvault.net/ecwolf/notes.php
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Post by doomjedi »

Blzut3 wrote: I don't recall releasing any screen shots with ROTT-style rooms. This release does not have a Z-axis
Weird. Am I confusing projects? I clearly remember such a pic and still have it on my comp somewhere...
It had Barnacle Wilhelm on it in a room with columns.
So it was not from your project? Guys, I'm not crazy, help me out...
What was that project then? And how is it doing?
ECWolf reads map dumps from WDC.
No ChaosEdit support?
Blzut3
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Post by Blzut3 »

doomjedi wrote:No ChaosEdit support?
I'm actually a bit confused on why the situation is as it is now. The dumps are header modified dumps of the uncompressed map data. I'm not sure why each editor has its own incompatible header which has the same information in a different order. If the editor developers want to agree on a format, I'll support whatever the agreement is.

I guess I could make a tool which swaps the headers for insertion, but for now you'll have to open your gamemaps in WDC to export. (You can load the gamemaps file as-is until you're ready for release of course.)

Of course all this binary map format stuff is just a hold over until editors support the more flexible text map format.
ronwolf1705
<b>Moderator</b>

Post by ronwolf1705 »

So it was not from your project?
That was from another project, I believe it was kieselsteini who worked on that.
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Post by doomjedi »

Ah, sorry, I guess I got those two confused.
http://diehardwolfers.areyep.com/viewtopic.php?t=5832

What's up with that project? Any news? Looked promicing.
Executor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Post by Executor »

The ECWolf tech demo has gone gold and should be available on the same day as ECWolf itself. Unfortunately the secret level was cut to meet the deadline buy should be available in a later patch.

ronwolf1705
<b>Moderator</b>

Post by ronwolf1705 »

Those screenshots look very nice! :)
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Post by Thomas »

Hot damn! Excellent work here! And somehow, Mac BJ always gives things a fresher edge.
Tricob
<b>Moderator</b>

Post by Tricob »

The screenies look great, but ...
Executor wrote:The ECWolf tech demo has gone gold and should be available on the same day as ECWolf itself. Unfortunately the secret level was cut to meet the deadline buy should be available in a later patch.
:-? :-? :-? Oh. I assume you mean:
Unfortunately the secret level was cut to meet the deadline *but* should be available in a later patch.
:)
Executor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Post by Executor »

Yes, it's just a typo.
Blzut3
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Post by Blzut3 »

doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Post by doomjedi »

The forum requers registration to view this thread :(
Blzut3
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Post by Blzut3 »

It should be viewable by guests now.
Tricob
<b>Moderator</b>

Post by Tricob »

Is anyone getting "Deaf" dogs on their PCs? They show up on E1L1 of mine. :-?
ThunderEnema
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Post by ThunderEnema »

@Tricob: I'm getting issues with the dogs on E1L1... they stay in patrol mode even when it's obvious that they should see me.
"When I see someone wearing crocs in public, I have all the information I need to know that I will never get along with that person." -Me
Blzut3
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Post by Blzut3 »

Could you send me a save game demonstrating the issue? I believe you can report it on the bug tracker (linked on the site), but bitbucket is doing some maintenance at the time so I can't say for sure. If not then send me an email admin@maniacsvault.net.
Tricob
<b>Moderator</b>

Post by Tricob »

Blzut3 wrote:Could you send me a save game demonstrating the issue? I believe you can report it on the bug tracker (linked on the site), but bitbucket is doing some maintenance at the time so I can't say for sure. If not then send me an email admin@maniacsvault.net.
I didn't use saved games, actually. To reproduce the problem, exit the dungeon area you start in. Now, after entering the gray area with the guards, take a right, and go to the rectangular-shaped room straight ahead (It should have some tables, guards, and food). The dog will not be alerted by gunfire; only when BJ steps into the room. I was playing on Death Incarnate.
Executor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Post by Executor »

It sounds like the door is not "bridging" the sound zones (the ECWolf version of floor codes) properly.
insurrectionman
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

Post by insurrectionman »

This was really cool! I really liked the techdemo. The level design was amazing (was it from a previous mod? I got that impression somehow). Anyways, besides a few bugs that I came across (which don't affect my judgment of the application), I was impressed on a lot of the fancy features.

I believe I saw the load/save screen shot (was that something you came up with? Or was that the tutorial I wrote up a few months ago?)

In terms of bugs, which may help you in clearing them out for future updates:
I would occasionally get stuck in walls and doors when spamming the Space bar looking for secrets.
I think in E1M9 (techdemo) there were a few scattered floors/ceilings missing in areas, or that seemed out of place (they were bright blue or red or any solid color, implying the tile wasn't there)

Other than that, amazing. I hope these bugs don't offend you in any way, I did enjoy playing on it.

Keep up the good work guys!
Youtube Channel: TreeSapThief
Twitter: @treesapthief
Blzut3
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Post by Blzut3 »

Tricob wrote:I didn't use saved games, actually. To reproduce the problem, exit the dungeon area you start in. Now, after entering the gray area with the guards, take a right, and go to the rectangular-shaped room straight ahead (It should have some tables, guards, and food). The dog will not be alerted by gunfire; only when BJ steps into the room. I was playing on Death Incarnate.
The point was if I have a save game set up where I can load, press the fire button, and see the dogs not wake up then it would be easier to debug. At the moment I can't reproduce the issue on either Windows or Linux. However, I did notice that the dogs don't run through open doors. Is this consistent with vanilla?
insurrectionman wrote:I believe I saw the load/save screen shot (was that something you came up with? Or was that the tutorial I wrote up a few months ago?)
That's actually mostly ZDoom code (and the menus have been rewritten since like r3), so no it's not your tutorial. (You might notice that the .ecs files are PNGs.) I guess this also gives me an excuse to mention, if anyone wants to contribute code to ECWolf, I do accept patches.
insurrectionman wrote:In terms of bugs, which may help you in clearing them out for future updates:
I would occasionally get stuck in walls and doors when spamming the Space bar looking for secrets.
With the tech demo I assume? If you could report this on the tracker with a save game of an instance where you're stuck that would be great.