ECWolf - Advanced Source Port

Chat on the Original Wolfenstein 3d Game

Moderators: Dean, ronwolf1705, Arielus

Blzut3
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Post by Blzut3 »

WSJ wrote:What about Ripper's directional 3D sprites? Are they available in ECWolf? They're a VERY handy substitute for see-thru walls.
Not yet. I don't think it would be particularly difficult to add them back in, but the rendering part likely needs to be redone to use ECWolf's structures. Of course I also intend to support transparent walls as well at some point.
Tricob
<b>Moderator</b>

Post by Tricob »

Regarding the size differences between OGGs and MP3s, you *can* get MP3s to be a smaller size than OGG, yet still be of equal quality. But you have to know *exactly* how to do it right. I use Goldwave to get this job done for me. You first download and install an MP3 decoder for Goldwave, and then tweak the MP3 encoder to use some Custom settings that the menus don't use by default. You have to re-select these settings with every audio file you load up. It's not difficult; just tedious.
Andy_Nonymous
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Post by Andy_Nonymous »

Blzut3 wrote:Try this: Open your ecwolf.cfg file located in C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\ecwolf\ (or something like that). Look for the key BaseDataPaths and set it to the exact location your wolf data files are.

For example something like this:
BaseDataPaths = "C:\\Wolf-Data";
Note that the path separator should be escaped (\\ instead of just \).
I'll add that you can also delete the config file in case the game doesn't start - a new one will get generated.

Why must the Vista/Win7 config file be kept in a hidden folder like this? If you re-install or move the ecwolf folder (like when I went from ecwol-rc4 to ecwolf-1.1.1), it didn't start, and I had to hunt through this thread to figure out how to get it working again today.

In Win98 the config file is left in the game directory; can't other versions of Windows get this treatment? I think it would make things much simpler. I don't see the advantage of using the AppData\Roaming folder at all.

Another thing: I got Techdemo 1.1 running today and was a bit disappointed that Executor added some severe DOOM-like bobbing (which wasn't in v1.0) - makes me a bit ill to play in fullscreen. I assume he edited some script to enable this - can the player disable it somehow? I didn't see an option in the menus to do so.

Thanks,
Andy
RichterBelmont12
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Post by RichterBelmont12 »

I Also have Questions about this?

does this Support In-game Messages like in doom and Different color Shading rather then turning it on in the options?
Blzut3
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Post by Blzut3 »

Andy_Nonymous wrote:Another thing: I got Techdemo 1.1 running today and was a bit disappointed that Executor added some severe DOOM-like bobbing (which wasn't in v1.0) - makes me a bit ill to play in fullscreen. I assume he edited some script to enable this - can the player disable it somehow? I didn't see an option in the menus to do so.
When the in game console is added it will be easier to disable this, but for now edit your cfg file. Set MoveBob to 0 to disable.

You're free to put the configuration file where ever you want. I put it in AppData so people can install to Program Files without UAC getting in the way of things. If you really wish to move it, create a bat file.
ecwolf.exe --config C:\Path\To\ecwolf.cfg %*
You can also set --savedir to move the save games.
Richter Belmont wrote:does this Support In-game Messages like in doom and Different color Shading rather then turning it on in the options?
In game messages will be implmented with the console at some point. Once I'm able to get the depth fog more ROTT/Doom like, there will be mod side options to configure it.
Blzut3
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Post by Blzut3 »

Continued discussion from the what are you doing thread:
Soldat 555 wrote:So even that is from Doom unless the modder redoes ECWolf's code or simply leaves it off. Frankly that doesn't bug me as much as the Doom "When you walk the POV bounces up and down" which makes me a little nauseous. I mean, what the Hell, it's like I'm doing lunges or squatting between each step.
If you are one of the few that get nauseous from the view bob then there is a way to turn it off. It's a little out of the way atm since there's no console, but it just involves change the value of a variable in the config file.
Soldat 555 wrote:Mac Wolf3d didn't use code based off a Doom port... Neither did Wolfenstein Sextilogy... ECWolf DOES, so excuse me when your work feels like DOOM mods now due to the fact your engine uses stuff from ZDOOM. Hell, it was you that pointed out during the first release "It uses WADs just like DOOM does!" It seriously feels like your throwing Wolf3d out the window and trying to emulate the engine more like Doom. DoomJedi said it best...
Technically speaking the SNES (and I assume the derivatives) use a BSP based rendering algorithm like Doom does. Also Rise of the Triad is a wolf engine game that uses an early form of Doom's WAD code. ECWolf still uses Wolf4SDL's renderer, physics, AI, etc. The ZDoom code used involves resources manipulation and should not affect the game play in any way.
Soldat 555 wrote:I hate that the engine can't stretch/crop images, ..., I hate there isn't a visible resize screen option (Which you probably removed thinking that was crap too).
The engine is capable of stretching and cropping images. I choose not to do so since a majority of the people prefer the original aspect ratio to be preserved. There are a handful of users that are adverse to black bars, but I haven't seen an indication that it's enough to warrant maintaining the code path. If you want, you can set the aspect ratio to 4:3 in the menu and everything will be stretched except for the menu/read this (both of which use a clean scaling factor (whole numbers) for optimal legibility).

The screen size can be adjusted with the -/= keys. I removed the item from the menu since I felt it was inconvenient there (no instantaneous response) and I didn't feel like writing a custom menu handler for it.
Executor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Post by Executor »

Andy_Nonymous wrote:Another thing: I got Techdemo 1.1 running today and was a bit disappointed that Executor added some severe DOOM-like bobbing (which wasn't in v1.0) - makes me a bit ill to play in fullscreen. I assume he edited some script to enable this - can the player disable it somehow? I didn't see an option in the menus to do so.

Thanks,
Andy
I will probably cut the movebob strength to about 1/3 for 1.2. It will still be there, but much more subtle and less like B.J. has a spring where his backbone should be.
Andy_Nonymous
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Post by Andy_Nonymous »

Being an old-time DOS hound, I prefer either the command line or a bat file to run my Wolf3d games on my old Windows 98 machine. On my Windows Vista machine, I prefer using a shortcut to navigating to a folder and either double-clicking an EXE or drag-and-dropping.

Here's a tip for making Windows shortcuts for ECWolf mods. I'll use the Assassinate Hitler mod as an example.

I made a subfolder in the ECwolf folder named ahitler (same as the .pk3 file)
I placed all the ahitler files in that folder (.pk3, .txt)
I made a ahitler.bat file in the ECWolf folder with the following contents:
@echo off
ecwolf.exe ahitler\ahitler.pk3 --config ahitler\ahitler.cfg --savedir ahitler
I then right-click on the hitler.bat file and create a shortcut of that and that shortcut can be copied/moved/renamed and launched anywhere on your computer. The bat file will a) use the ahitler.pk3 file in the ahitler folder, b) create/use an ahitler.cfg file in the same folder, and c) put all the saved games for that mod in that folder.

This will keep the saved games and config files separate for each of your mods. Also, the bat file is much easier to edit than the properties of the Windows shortcut, where the length of the pathnames for the .pk, cfg, and savedir files can get quite lengthy.

You might have to delete any already-created cfg files in your User\AppData\Roaming\ECWolf folder because ECWolf seems to always look there first, if I'm not mistaken.

To create a bat file, make a text file first (either start up notepad, or right click in your folder, and select new-> text document), add/edit your file contents and save it. Then rename it to its bat file name and tell Windows, yes @%%@% it, I meant to rename it! :lol:

To later edit the bat file, right click on it and select edit; double-clicking will run your mod.

Andy
Andy_Nonymous
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Post by Andy_Nonymous »

Excuse the double-post, but I noticed something in the ECWolf 1.1.9999 (sent to me with the Totengraeber RC1 file) screen resolutions options menu. 640x400 is no longer offered (though 640x480 is still there).

To me this is a mistake, as it is the Wolf4SDL default, and the original Wolf3d was at 320x200. I know most users will prefer a larger resolution with their bigger flatscreen monitors anyway, but on an older Win98 machine in fullscreen mode, this was the perfect resolution.

If removing 640x400 was not planned for official release, ignore this post. If it was, please reconsider.

Thanks,
Andy
Blzut3
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Re: ECWolf - Advanced Source Port

Post by Blzut3 »

Andy_Nonymous wrote:You might have to delete any already-created cfg files in your User\AppData\Roaming\ECWolf folder because ECWolf seems to always look there first, if I'm not mistaken.
--config should override. If it doesn't then it is a bug.
Andy_Nonymous wrote:If removing 640x400 was not planned for official release, ignore this post. If it was, please reconsider.
I didn't remove it. Chances are the change in SDL video driver caused this. Can you try adding this to your batch file before launching ecwolf.exe?
set SDL_VIDEODRIVER=directx
I had to remove the code that sets that since the directx driver has been deprecated and it was causing freezing problems with some computers. That said with ECWolf you should really use 640x480 to take advantage of the aspect ratio correction (although you could force 640x400 to render as 16:10 as well).

Edit: Although I guess aspect ratio correction wouldn't matter on a CRT when fullscreen.
Andy_Nonymous
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Post by Andy_Nonymous »

Blzut3,

Thanks for the quick response.

I confirmed that --config does override it, I was mistaken.

I added that "set SDL_VIDEODRIVER=directx" line to the bat file, but the game didn't start at all, but...

Monkeying around with the screen options, I found that the smaller resolutions (including 640x400) are offered when you are in windowed mode, but not when in fullscreen mode. So I changed the resolution before going to fullscreen and it let me achieve what I want.

I apologize if I caused any concern. :oops:

Andy
Blzut3
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Post by Blzut3 »

Weird that you wouldn't be able to start the game with the directx driver, but can use Wolf4SDL just fine (or even run the older versions of ECWolf), but yeah the next thing I was going to suggest was to just override the resolution in the config file. If SDL accepts the resolution when initializing full screen then ECWolf won't mind. (The windowed resolution list is hard coded, but it asks SDL for a list of full screen resolutions.) Good to hear you have it working. :)

I'm going to post this here as a general note in case someone stumbles across it: The new default video driver has been reported to cause a frame rate drop on some computers (on other computers a 10fps increase has been reported). The line in my last post has been reported to restore the old frame rate, but like I said the driver has been deprecated for a reason (be it random video freezes or not starting).
Tricob
<b>Moderator</b>

Post by Tricob »

Blzut3 wrote:Weird that you wouldn't be able to start the game with the directx driver, but can use Wolf4SDL just fine ...
Uh, Wolf4SDL doesn't use DirectX; it uses the SDL library for graphics. That's why it runs in Windows 98, Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7/8 without problems. It evades DirectX conflicts by simply not using DirectX at all. :D
Blzut3
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Post by Blzut3 »

Tricob wrote:Uh, Wolf4SDL doesn't use DirectX; it uses the SDL library for graphics. That's why it runs in Windows 98, Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7/8 without problems. It evades DirectX conflicts by simply not using DirectX at all. :D
You have no idea what you're talking about do you?
    // initialize SDL
#if defined _WIN32
    putenv("SDL_VIDEODRIVER=directx");
#endif
That's from Wolf4SDL wl_main.cpp. Yes, it uses the SDL library, but the SDL library has a number of back ends. One of them is DirectX and Wolf4SDL explicitly tells SDL to use it. SDL might fall back if the video driver doesn't work, but I'm not too sure about that. Secondly, Windows 98 supports up to DirectX 8.1.
Tricob
<b>Moderator</b>

Post by Tricob »

OT -

Thank you for the correction, but ...Wolf4SDL
Blzut3 wrote:
#if defined _WIN32
    putenv("SDL_VIDEODRIVER=directx");
#endif
... I see SDL_VIDEO_DRIVER unspecified for Dreamcast, GP2X, and Mac in this same file. The word "driver" doesn't appear in any of the Dreamcast files in the DC folder. And I'm unable to find SDL_VIDEODRIVER referenced in WL_DEF.H, ID_VL.H, ID_VL.CPP, ID_VH.H, ID_VH.CPP, or WL_DRAW.CPP.
SDL might fall back if the video driver doesn't work, but I'm not too sure about that.
Well, my current version of Windows XP has DirectX installed, and has a sound driver, but no graphics driver. Wolf4SDL currently refuses to run on that OS, saying it's unable to find the proper initialize the graphics. It does - however - run in Ubuntu's WINE mode with no problems.

On my same Windows XP, I've run Windows programs that are DirectX-based, and they run 100% without problems.
Secondly, Windows 98 supports up to DirectX 8.1.
Yes - all Windows OSs have a DirectX of some sort, dating all the way back to Windows 95 Version A; I never disputed that. :) The problem is that - when DirectX moved to version 10 - numerous DirectX commands from older versions (Version 9 included) were removed, so many DirectX-based programs won't function in Windows Vista and beyond.
Blzut3
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Post by Blzut3 »

Tricob wrote:... I see SDL_VIDEO_DRIVER unspecified for Dreamcast, GP2X, and Mac in this same file. The word "driver" doesn't appear in any of the Dreamcast files in the DC folder. And I'm unable to find SDL_VIDEODRIVER referenced in WL_DEF.H, ID_VL.H, ID_VL.CPP, ID_VH.H, ID_VH.CPP, or WL_DRAW.CPP.
SDL_VIDEODRIVER does not have to be defined. As I said before, I removed the quoted code from ECWolf 1.2 since it was causing problems for some users. I don't know how up to date this document is exactly, but here's a list of back ends SDL can use. As I understand it the current default for Windows is actually windib now.
Tricob wrote:Well, my current version of Windows XP has DirectX installed, and has a sound driver, but no graphics driver. Wolf4SDL currently refuses to run on that OS, saying it's unable to find the proper initialize the graphics. It does - however - run in Ubuntu's WINE mode with no problems.
I guess that means there's no falling back when explicitly set (this is consistent with my experiments with SDL 2.0). I can't explain why other Direct X apps would run fine though. You can of course run on wine fine since wine provides a Direct X to OpenGL, etc wrapper (and Ubuntu ships with a software fall back for OpenGL should your hardware not accelerate it).
Tricob wrote:Yes - all Windows OSs have a DirectX of some sort, dating all the way back to Windows 95 Version A; I never disputed that. :) The problem is that - when DirectX moved to version 10 - numerous DirectX commands from older versions (Version 9 included) were removed, so many DirectX-based programs won't function in Windows Vista and beyond.
Still, the point is, there are other ways SDL can support a wide range of OSs besides avoiding Direct X. I haven't looked at the code myself, but it either avoids incompatible functions (most likely) or detects the OS version and switches code paths.
Tricob
<b>Moderator</b>

Post by Tricob »

OT -
Blzut3 wrote:I don't know how up to date this document is exactly, but here's a list of back ends SDL can use.
According to Firefox, the document was last updated on:
Firefox wrote:Wed 16 Apr 2008 01:53:12 AM CDT
However, the SDL libraries used by Wolf4SDL are rather old in most cases, dating back *before* version 2.0. There are Wolf4SDL mods that use newer versions of SDL, but it's easier to use the version provided if you're only making simple changes. :)
Blzut3
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Post by Blzut3 »

ECWolf 1.2 is now available: http://maniacsvault.net/entry60
Blzut3
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Post by Blzut3 »

Sorry about the double post, but a critical bug in saving was identified so ECWolf 1.2.1 is now available. Not sure how I apparently forgot to test the saves.
Blzut3
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Post by Blzut3 »

Did another bug fix release: http://maniacsvault.net/entry63

Also included is a GUI game picker for Windows and a PC Speaker emulator.
printz
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

Post by printz »

Speaking of game picker, how do i make the OS X game picker show up? Or does it only appear if I have multiple wolfensteins in the search path(s)? How do I even arrange them? Can it also help me setup command line arguments?
Blzut3
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Post by Blzut3 »

It's the same picker from ZDoom, so yes it will only show up if you have more than 1 supported data set installed. Not sure what you mean by arrangement, just dump the sod, sdm, sd2, sd3, wl1, and wl6 files into the same directory.
printz
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

Post by printz »

What if I want to load custom classic level sets? I'd have to provide them in separate folders, and copy original vswap, vgagraph and so on there.
Blzut3
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Post by Blzut3 »

Ahh, yeah loading classic sets is kind of inconvenient. I need to come up with some way to package them into a single file with minimum effort. If you run from the command line you can just --file the vswap, vgagraph, gamemaps, and audiot. The extension must match (wl6 for example) for ECWolf to know what to do with the chunks.
Andy_Nonymous
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Post by Andy_Nonymous »

I've tried the latest ECWolf version 1.2.2 (release 3 August) and 2 of my "older" .pk3 files do not work correctly anymore,

ahitler.pk3 (Assassinate Hitler from 10 May)
totengraeber.pk3 (Project Totengraeber RC1 from 16 May)

The immediate symptom I get is I cannot open doors anymore. And the enemies that are alerted behind the door don't open it either.

Do the older pk3's need to be updated also?
Blzut3
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Post by Blzut3 »

Yeah for the 1.x series I'm focusing on correctness over compatibility. It's all explained here including what needs to be changed to fix mods.

I have the updated ahitler mod on my website. I'll have to mention totengraeber to Executor again, last I heard he forgot he was working on that.
Andy_Nonymous
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Post by Andy_Nonymous »

Thanks for the update, Blzut3. :-)
Executor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Post by Executor »

Totengraeber kind of slipped my mind and got lost in the shuffle since I was working on Return to Totenhaus and Operation Serpent. I just sent you an updated testing PK3.
Blzut3
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Post by Blzut3 »

Thought I would let you all know that ECWolf is now available for Android thanks to Beloko games. There are a few minor issues I've informed the developer about, but it works fairly well. Of course mods should work on it too!
Blzut3
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Post by Blzut3 »

Despite not getting feedback for a fairly important change, I've released a new maintenance version of ECWolf. This release should be compatible with all mods and saves and also supports PowerPC Macs running OS X 10.4 or 10.5!