[RELEASE] MacenWolf - now with modding kit!

Add-On's, Modifications, and Total Conversions discussions

Moderators: Dean, ronwolf1705, TheTalentedMrLeo

serpens
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

[RELEASE] MacenWolf - now with modding kit!

Post by serpens »

Hey there everyone!

After a long time, much deliberation and even more effort on both sides, together with the resplendent NEXION (who isn't here with us but who would like to thank his friends and family, especially his mother) we are finally unveiling our Mac-based project, MacenWolf! Initially a pet idea and a small obsession of mine, after spending vast amounts of time digesting the internals of Mac Wolfenstein, learning MacOS 7 and exploring software of a bygone era, I approached the point where some coding help was necessary. Well, "some" quickly turned into "heaps", heaps into mountains, Nex was slowly dragged into this thing and probably put more work than myself at this point. I'm sorry, there was no other way!

I'm not going to lie, some periods of work on this mod involved bouts of true hair-pulling madness and it's a relief to finally be able to share our work. Now for the inevitable bug reports.

HOW TO RUN MODS: the --file command. Run the game as macenwolf --file foldername to run a mod of your choice after you have placed its folder in the main game folder.

For a step-by-step example: download Spear of Longinus. Place Spear of Longinus.zip file in the Macenwolf folder. Extract the zip. You will end up with a subfolder called "longinus". Open the command prompt and run macenwolf --file longinus, or create a shortcut for the exe and place macenwolf --file longinus in the target field in Properties, and the mod will be launched. Alternatively, use the .bat file that should also come attached.
===Now for a small FAQ explaining what's up.===
WHAT?

This is a port of Macintosh Wolfenstein 3D for the PC, using the SDL engine, with Andy's DOS code as a very, very heavily modified base. Actually it's a bit more than just a port: it's also a modding and porting base. With the base finally ready for release, I will strive to provide the community with ports of the best, worst and entirely unremarkable mods from the largely forgotten Mac scene. At the same time you can mod it yourself - we have provided certain accommodations to this end, including WDC definitions and a textual reference.

WHY?

The reasons are two-fold. First, having discovered the Mac Wolfenstein scene, I have realized that there's a good 250 Wolf mods sitting there on dead or dying servers, abandoned, never to be played or seen by anyone ever again. My archivist spirit couldn't have any of that and I started looking into the Mac format and ways of translating mods into PC-usable data. Yeah, I know there were previous attempts, and even a very recent mod by Wolf3DGuy, but hear me out. We've found all extant solutions to be inadequate or not meeting our purposes. Andy only ported some parts of the vanilla games. Wolf3DGuy's mod has very different goals. And the ECWolf handling of Mac assets is heavily gimped and existing ECWolf ports plagued with significant issues. So the record shows we took the blows and we did it our way.

HOW?

Not to bore you with too many details and stories of woe, I spent weeks and weeks trying to properly and swiftly extricate and convert Mac assets and maps to formats usable on PC, learning a whole lot along the way. Then Nexion stepped in and saved me with a whole lot of coding brilliance. It was all worth it though. I can now salvage some musty, ancient mods from under the ruins of old Macs and bring them to you with a layer of polish and shoeshine.

HOW DO I RUN THAT MAC MOD YOU RELEASED?

The 7zipped file includes a folder. Extract the folder to your Macenwolf folder, then run macenwolf --file foldername (e.g. macenwolf --file oldies or macenwolf --file spear). My ported Mac mods will not work with any other source port or Wolf mod, you must use Macenwolf to run them.

CAN I MOD THIS?

Yes, we have thought of that. Have a look at the included readme, modding reference and gamedict annotations. WDC definitions should make this a simple matter.

I WANT FEATURE X

Sorry, we're not taking feature requests. We are taking bug reports, so if you find something that urgently needs fixing, post about it on DHW or ModDB and we'll take care of it.

WHY THE NAME?

It sounds like Mac-in-Wolf, which correctly represents my intention of bringing Mac content to the Wolfenstein we all know and like... Sorry, I'm just making stuff up at this point.

WILL THIS WORK WITH ECWOLF?

No.

WHO WOULD WANT TO PLAY THAT IN THIS DAY AND AGE?

Probably nobody.

HOW LONG DID THIS TAKE?

Shut up.
===Now for some credits===
CREDITS

I'm gonna credit Nexion for putting the equivalent of part time (and sometimes full-time) job into this project. Credits for the creators of PC and Mac Wolfenstein 3D are pretty obvious. Moving on, Andy for his Second Encounter code base, although it's barely recognizable at this point. Ripper et al for SDL, Chris for the foundations of automap code, AlumiuN for the sound manager. Adam Biser for WDC and Greg Ewing for WolfEdit, the main Wolfenstein editors I used throughout the entire ordeal. Wayne Campbell and Clubey for their guides, tips and (in the second case) vast array of rare Mac mods and scenarios preserved on archive.org. MCS for sharing the SDL Macenstein code. Aryan, should he ever decide to do that thing I asked him for, plus a bit of playtesting.

There will be, of course, credits for individual mods, but these will be placed in text files included with specific releases, alongside extant documentation.

DISCREDITS:

There's also a bunch of individuals who have contributed any or all of my following states of mind: constant amusement, bewildered incredulity, stagnant apathy, face-palming astonishment, crushing despair, total resignation. They are...

Aryan
Atina
Chris
Fux Mulder
Gary Acord
Hitler
Hobbes
Kane
Nep
Nexion
Stalin
Thomas
Tuna
Wolf3DGuy

You're all exceptional, thank you!

Have fun!
Last edited by serpens on Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:12 pm, edited 5 times in total.
serpens
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

[RELEASE] MacenWolf!

Post by serpens »

Together with the main release, we are also publishing two Mac mods! They are: The Spear of Longinus by Clubey and Simon's Oldies by bicman.

HOW TO RUN MODS: the --file command. Run the game as macenwolf --file foldername to run a mod of your choice after you have placed its folder in the main game folder.

For a step-by-step example: download Spear of Longinus. Place Spear of Longinus.zip file in the Macenwolf folder. Extract the zip. You will end up with a subfolder called "longinus". Open the command prompt and run macenwolf --file longinus, or create a shortcut for the exe and place macenwolf --file longinus in the target field in Properties, and the mod will be launched. Alternatively, use the .bat file that should also come attached.
Spear of Longinus is a Third Encounter mod by Clubey. Lacking any documentation attached with the download itself, it comes as a six-map demo downloadable from Clubey's website and a full version that you had to mail the author for. This port represents the full version, although the demo might eventually end up ported as well, for completeness' sake.

You can read and see a bit more about the mod on Clubey's old website (archived here: https://web.archive.org/web/20070809011 ... l/SoL.html ). The story focuses on Hitler's post-mortem attempts to relocate the mystical Spear of Destiny to an undetectable Antarctic hideout, as BJ attempts to infiltrate the Spear's current holding place - an ancient monastery accessible via abandoned catacombs - and prevent the disastrous turn of events. On your way you will face some familiar enemies, both mundane and supernatural.

Full credit goes to Clubey as sole author of the mod.
Simon's Oldies is a collection of First Encounter mapsets by Bicman alias Simon. They come with no attached text files, just scenario names and maps. The only available documentation is found on Bicman's website (http://bicman.free.fr/index.php?id=400 archive: http://archive.is/5rxiU), where he explains his mods won't work with Third Encounter, outlines how to install the Oldies scenarios with First Encounter, and mentions that some of his mods made it on the cover CD of a French Mac magazine, SVM MAC.

Full credit goes to Bicman/Simon as the sole author.
DOWNLOAD

http://www.mediafire.com/file/5bk1c47ah ... s.zip/file
(PLEASE COPY-PASTE THE LINK INTO YOUR ADDRESS BAR... yet another case where the forum refuses to parse the entire link. sigh)

Enjoy!
Atina
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Post by Atina »

I'm so glad to see this finally out ^^'
"Nexion and Atina are one in the same. Set apart by time and space, but they'll be one again" - WolferCooker (11/10/2010)
Guest03ca

Re: [RELEASE] MacenWolf!

Post by Guest03ca »

serpens wrote:DISCREDITS:

There's also a bunch of individuals who have contributed any or all of my following states of mind: constant amusement, bewildered incredulity, stagnant apathy, face-palming astonishment, crushing despair, total resignation. They are...

Aryan
Atina
Chris
Fux Mulder
Gary Acord
Hitler
Hobbes
Kane
Nep
Nexion
Stalin
Thomas
Tuna
Wolf3DGuy

You're all exceptional, thank you!
You forgot Pendugion. :tdown:
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Post by Thomas »

Looks pretty macen' great... For a long time many of these scenarios have languished in obscurity, and look at that pretty evocative crucifixion sprite. Looks awesome and long live SDL.
serpens
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

[RELEASE] MacenWolf!

Post by serpens »

Tut-tut, old fruits! Here are some significant news related to MacenWolf.

First of all, we're bringing you version 1.01. This version fixes a rare bug related to pushwalls that could negatively impact the player experience in certain maps, potentially even make them unfinishable. Simon's Oldies was affected, so be sure to download this before playing said mod.
Moving on! You get two new mods to play: Pussenbootzenstein Demo by Clubey and Death Row by an unknown author. They're funney mods, incomplete and quirky, but I decided to also show you the darker side of the Mac Wolfenstein modding scene along with the usual Astrosteins and so on. So what do we have on the menu?

Pussenbootzenstein is a scenario by Clubey, in fact a demo of a project he never quite got around to finishing. Inspired by European tales of walking cats and some Japanese short stories and poetry, Clubey replaced guards with antropomorphic cats and put the player through four maps of densely packed feline slaughter. Other features, like (presumably) new walls, sounds, or a storyline, never came to be.See the included original readme for more details.

===CREDITS===
Full credit goes to Clubey as the creator of this mod.
Death Row is a mapset by an unknown author, with no documentation attached. It implies some sort of very morbid, grim scenario. It's also completely broken. Play at your own risk.

===Changes===
Multiple pushwalls had to be introduced and door orientation fixed for the set to be even remotely completeable. Fun, I know.

===CREDITS===
Ownership unknown and I'm not sure if anyone would want to own up.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/macenwolf/do ... /death-row
(the forum refuses to turn this into a working url again... I don't get it)

And lastly, I have finally decided to provide ModDB mirrors for Spear of Longinus and Simon's Oldies. Enjoy!
gerolf
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Post by gerolf »

Great work guys, I'm really enjoying this and agree with the effort to preserve as much as possible. I hope this will inspire others to make Mac-wolf levels of their own.
serpens
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Post by serpens »

gerolf wrote:Great work guys, I'm really enjoying this and agree with the effort to preserve as much as possible. I hope this will inspire others to make Mac-wolf levels of their own.
I know at least one person who would like to make more maps!
Now, more news for you! First of all, we're releasing MacenWolf 1.02. Another fairly small update, this one includes a balance fix regarding shooting through doors and corners, plus two updated music trackc. Installation instructions: copy the exe into the main MacenWolf folder and overwrite, copy the songs into the music folder and overwrite too. Simple enough. The main download files have also been updated.
Now then, we've got two more mods ported and ready to play. And this time we're aiming big! Introducing Amerika the Beautiful.

Amerika the Beautiful is a major release by a major player on the Mac modding scene - Laz Rojas. A large work with many new graphics and sounds, Amerika the Beautiful is somewhat unorthodox in that it brings you to the modern world, where a neo-Nazi, white supremacist plot is brewing among your former friends from the military. It also introduces limited aspects of realism to the game: instead of a chaingun you get a machine pistol and burly superhuman bosses are replaced with armed vehicles. Intense and difficult combat in well crafted maps await those brave enough to face the challenge.

If you're wondering why there's no music playing, that's because the author didn't set any. Play your own! (it's not a bug, it's a feature)

===CREDITS===

All credits go to the creator of the mod, Laz Rojas.

The other mod is a much more obscure release called 1939.

A fairly interesting entry in the Mac modding family tree, 1939 brings you on a mission deep inside the German heartland, apparently years before the United States and Third Reich officially crossed paths in the war. There are ten maps, and while the designs can get repetitive (no doubt due to the overall short build time), the game is worth checking out.

===CREDITS===

Mod author unknown.
gerolf
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Post by gerolf »

That last one is very interesting indeed, and it being from an unknown author makes it even more interesting.
serpens
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

[RELEASE] MacenWolf!

Post by serpens »

New stuff! What do we have for you this week? First off, the new MacenWolf 1.03 update. It's a very small one - just something about elevators that you could not have noticed before - but nonetheless necessary for some future releases. Don't worry about it, just update your game and be done with it.
Next up: Astrostein.

The first in a series of three major mods, Astrostein is one of the biggest, most famous releases to grace the Mac Wolfenstein modding scene, later also ported to the Doom engine together with most of other works by Laz Rojas. While on a mission deep within German territory, you are knocked out, captured and imprisoned. Hardly new in itself, but this time you wake up to find yourself in a completely unknown locale 100 years in the future! Once you overcome the metaphorical shock of time travel - and the literal shock of touching the forcefield locking your cell - it's time to fight your way through thirty maps full of trained troopers of the future, combat robots and energy weapons, all in futuristic environs. Kill the captain of the ship and launch the rescue shuttle pod - the first milestone in your fight against the Nazi space empire.

Once again, Laz chose not to set any music for this mod (presumably the vanilla music wouldn't fit thematically), so feel free to play your own.

===CREDITS===

All credits go to Laz Rojas, creator of the Astrostein series.

Complementing the main release this time is Death Before Dishonor, a small, pure mapset. I don't know much about it, not even who made it; all I know comes from Clubey, who tells us it's a First Encounter mapset originally made with a piece of software called Wolfmaker, a procedural map generator. Ahm, well, regardless. Give it a go anyway, you could be plesantly surprised.

Or not.

===CREDITS===

Mod author unknown.
Technopeasant
Necromancer

Post by Technopeasant »

Going to need to check these out when I have time.
Currently Playing: Des Mannes bester Freund

Last Played: https://wl6.fandom.com/wiki/User:Techno ... #Completed
Technopeasant
Necromancer

[RELEASE] MacenWolf!

Post by Technopeasant »

Trying it through Wine on Fedora 31 and it does not quite work. It loads and I was able to start a game. I hear sounds when I move around and fire a gun, and I think I even killed a Nazi. Trouble is I just get a blank white window. Base Wolf4SDL has always ran perfectly for me through Wine. My terminal readout certainly shows something is going wrong. I realize this is not necessarily a supported system. but an issue with running it in Wine often reveals a problem that may affect certain Windows users too.
[graham@Lore MacenWolf Second Encounter]$ wine "/home/graham/Programs/Windows/Wolf4SDL/MacenWolf/MacenWolf Second Encounter/MacenWolf.exe"
002c:fixme:winediag:__wine_start_process Wine Staging 5.10 is a testing version containing experimental patches.
002c:fixme:winediag:__wine_start_process Please mention your exact version when filing bug reports on winehq.org.
0024:err:winediag:wined3d_dll_init Forcing sample count to 0. This may not be compatible with all applications.
0024:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION
0024:fixme:ddraw:ddraw_surface7_Flip Ignoring flags 0x1.
0024:err:msvcrt:MSVCRT__invalid_parameter (null):0 (null): (null) 0
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
0024:fixme:x11drv:X11DRV_DestroyNotify window 0x500b0/6c00007 destroyed from the outside
0024:fixme:x11drv:X11DRV_DestroyNotify window 0x100bc/6c00008 destroyed from the outside
^CX Error of failed request:  BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  10 (X_UnmapWindow)
  Resource id in failed request:  0x6a00001
  Serial number of failed request:  533
  Current serial number in output stream:  535
Currently Playing: Des Mannes bester Freund

Last Played: https://wl6.fandom.com/wiki/User:Techno ... #Completed
serpens
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Re: [RELEASE] MacenWolf!

Post by serpens »

Technopeasant wrote:Trying it through Wine on Fedora 31 and it does not quite work. It loads and I was able to start a game. I hear sounds when I move around and fire a gun, and I think I even killed a Nazi. Trouble is I just get a blank white window. Base Wolf4SDL has always ran perfectly for me through Wine. My terminal readout certainly shows something is going wrong. I realize this is not necessarily a supported system. but an issue with running it in Wine often reveals a problem that may affect certain Windows users too.
[graham@Lore MacenWolf Second Encounter]$ wine "/home/graham/Programs/Windows/Wolf4SDL/MacenWolf/MacenWolf Second Encounter/MacenWolf.exe"
002c:fixme:winediag:__wine_start_process Wine Staging 5.10 is a testing version containing experimental patches.
002c:fixme:winediag:__wine_start_process Please mention your exact version when filing bug reports on winehq.org.
0024:err:winediag:wined3d_dll_init Forcing sample count to 0. This may not be compatible with all applications.
0024:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION
0024:fixme:ddraw:ddraw_surface7_Flip Ignoring flags 0x1.
0024:err:msvcrt:MSVCRT__invalid_parameter (null):0 (null): (null) 0
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
0024:fixme:x11drv:X11DRV_DestroyNotify window 0x500b0/6c00007 destroyed from the outside
0024:fixme:x11drv:X11DRV_DestroyNotify window 0x100bc/6c00008 destroyed from the outside
^CX Error of failed request:  BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  10 (X_UnmapWindow)
  Resource id in failed request:  0x6a00001
  Serial number of failed request:  533
  Current serial number in output stream:  535
We'll try to come up with a possible remedy for your woes. Stay tuned.

Hey there! As usual we've got two new mods for you this week, at least sort of, since the two Strangesteins (as they are actually called) obviously share certain similarities. They're still separate mods though and you're getting both here, so read on.

The Strangestein mods are an interesting entry in the Mac history of modding. As is often the case, little is known about them. Made by George Rodriguez (a fairly active modder at the time, responsible for such massive hits as Bin Ladenstein or Bin's Hole), they don't come with much in terms of documentation or storyline. One is certain though: you find yourself a stranger in a strange land, facing an eclectic ensemble of enemies among curious environments with reversed Nazi swastikas and wa-a-acky sounds.

While the first Strangestein is rather odd, having only one map that doesn't even feature all of the new content, Strangestein 2 is the proper mod here, bringing fourteen new maps and a bunch of new sounds alongside even more graphic changes and new interface elements. Enjoy.

Oh, and there's also a small visual fix for Astrostein, removing transparent pixels mistakenly left in a certain explosion image. Barely worth mentioning.
===CREDITS===
Credits go to George Rodriguez, sole author of the Strangestein series.

Download Strangestein 1
https://www.moddb.com/mods/macenwolf/downloads/strangestein

Download Strangestein 2
https://www.moddb.com/mods/macenwolf/downloads/strangestein-2
Tricob
<b>Moderator</b>

Post by Tricob »

If it's a help, there are numerous free OSs that have WINE bundled in their ISO disk image, and you can boot from that disk image without installing the OS on your machine. That could serve as a tool for debugging things for WINE and other Windows OS emulators.
serpens
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

[RELEASE] MacenWolf!

Post by serpens »

Hello, hello! Have we got a surprise for you this week: not the usual two, but *three* ported Mac mods! And they're all mapsets. ...please read on.

Uncertain what to port this time around, I have decided to go by the alphabetical order. Or more specifically, alphanumerical. And as luck had it, I happened upon three mapsets with numbers in their names. They are called: 2 Keys, 48 Hours and 6.2.1. As is often the case, not much is known about them. They're Second Encounter efforts with little documentation attached.

2 Keys is a single, but rather sprawling map centered around the aforementioned keys. You can see them right away, but can't access them. Temptation is strong, but you won't get your hands on them until much later. 6.2.1 contains eight maps of varying quality and intensity. 48 Hours is definitely the most elaborate and polished release here - 14 maps and even a small storyline about Schabbs developing mutants and you being dropped next to Hitler's hideout to eliminate him within 48 hours - or die trying. Both of these can get very intense in terms of combat, swarming you with strong enemies, but you generally get quite a bit of ammo to deal with them.

Not much else to say here. They're mapsets, they're fine. If that's not enough for you, then what can I say? If it is, you should have fun regardless.
===Credits===

Sadly the authors of all three mapsets are currently unknown, though I'm still trying to ascertain one of them. Will keep you updated should I find out.
serpens
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

[RELEASE] MacenWolf!

Post by serpens »

Apologies for the single day slip-up. After the three mapsets last time, today we bring you only one mod, but it's a big one: Astrostein 2. We're continuing with the Astrostein series because Laz Rojas' mods are a bit of a priority in this project, what with them being some of the most eminent examples of Mac modding. And deservedly so. Astrosteins are expansive, high quality and make creative use of available resources. That last thing is especially noticeable in this part of the series.

After the events of the first Astrostein, wherein you woke up one hundred years in the future in the completely alien environment of a German spaceship, your battles culminating with killing the ship captain and stealing a shuttle, you are now headed to the Moon. But of course the Moon has long been colonized by the Third Reich and now you find yourself facing a lunar base full of Nazis. You will traverse the base's interior and even peek outside over ten maps full of new enemies, sounds and graphics (especially wall textures have been changed since the first Astrostein). Objective: find a cargo ship and head to Earth where you will finally deal with the menace once and for all.

And to round the post off, we also have an executable update, 1.04, that fixes a small issue with the Pacman ghosts and a changes a couple very minor things. Warning: previously saved games might not be compatible anymore, so keep that in mind before updating.

===CREDITS===
All credits go to Laz Rojas, author of the Astrostein series.
gerolf
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Post by gerolf »

Love it. I'll download these addons when I get back to the PC.
serpens
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

[RELEASE] MacenWolf!

Post by serpens »

Afternoon! For now we're back to your regular schedule of two mods per week. More obscure Mac goodies finally making their way to PC. And while today's mods happen to have very similar names (A Madman and A Madman's Redemption - seriously?), they are in fact two very different beasts. Let's see...

A Madman is a four level Mac mapset for the First Encounter, relatively standard as they go. There's very little know about it (also standard fare), so only the maps can speak for themselves. I've shown them to the masterminds behind Witching Hour and they think it's either art or smurf pasta, so it should be interesting to find out for yourself.

===CREDITS===
Authorship unknown.
Now here's something unusual. A Madman's Redemption, a mod with nine maps and some changed graphics (you'll know 'em when you see 'em), is not your usual castle romp but rather an exploration of B.J.'s mind. Sort of. And you'll find said mind to be a rather odd, abstract and mildly unsettling place that ends with a bit of a twist. Interesting stuff.

===CREDITS===
Credits go to compyislife who doesn't go out much and would like you to contact him at compyislife (at) gmail (dot) com, but there's no guarantees the e-mail is still active. Try at your own risk.
Tricob
<b>Moderator</b>

Post by Tricob »

Classic Mac enthusiasts are a likely source of more information when it comes to these things. Knowing what city the author lived at the time of the mod's release will help narrow down sources of information, too. I only lived in two cities during my Wolf3D modding days, and that makes it weird when you learn that these two cities were in fact in two different states. I basically moved from one state to another and then back to the previous state again. This was purely the doing of my mother and stepfather, as both of them were seriously flawed when it came to forethought.
serpens
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Post by serpens »

Apologies for the slip-up, I was busy/lazy, and besides, porting mods from this series is always a bit of a daunting task. There's just so much to do.

"This series"? Yeah, I mean Astrostein. You finally get the third and last installment, the epic finale of an epic franchise (not really). Featuring 10 maps, a host of custom sounds (some completely new) and graphics (mostly grey/beige wall textures reminiscent of the first game), new enemies and bosses, it provides good closure.

Welcome to Astrostein 3. Your adventures in outer space come to their end. After dodging a German penal colony, wrecking their high security spaceship and rampaging through their Moon base, you arrive back to planet Earth, casually dropping on New Berlin like nobody's business. Well, maybe you should have been more careful, because the area ahead is swarming with tough enemies out for your blood. Tear through them, infiltrate the rather heavily populated headquarters and you'll find out that your old pal Hitler is still alive, although in a heavily augmented body. Dispatch him once and for all and the evil empire shall fall, because apparently the Space Reich can't come up with a single competent replacement.
===Credits===
All credits, as usual, go to Laz Rojas, mastermind behind the Astrostein series.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Post by Thomas »

Very creative idea with using the landscape as a cityscape of sorts. Robot enemies look awesome too.
serpens
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

[RELEASE] MacenWolf!

Post by serpens »

Hello! Two mods this time around, far less influential than Astrostein in the grand scheme of things, but that's true for many releases. There's tons of obscure mods out there and we won't let them forever lay in darkness.

Kampfhenne de Fuhrer is something of a mystery, being a 2002 scenario that came with no documentation whatsoever. I have been told that the title translates roughly as Fuhrer's Battle Hen, but it's just a mapset (no new graphics included), so there's no chicken to be found in the game, battle or otherwise. Instead you'll find four maps with generally tight architecture and plenty of narrow passages.
Machine Gun World on the other hand is an early First Encounter mapset made by Yan Choon Ee. The name sounds Korean, though I can't tell if it's South Korea or Best Korea. Four maps again, the game appears to start you off in a familiar place, but you'll soon find yourself battling through a variety of new rooms full of secrets and densely populated by First Encounter enemies. I suppose the mapset's name refers to the high number of SS grunts found around the place, as most maps don't even have a machine gun otherwise.
Oh, and we have another update for the base game, version 1.05. This one adds a previously missing sound; sorry about that.
serpens
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

[RELEASE] MacenWolf!

Post by serpens »

I'm doing my best not to slip, but some mods can be somewhat exhausting to port, so once again there's only one this week. If Laz Rojas is the biggest name in Mac modding, surely Clubey is the second biggest. After a longer break we're taking a shot at his mods again and bringing you In The Wolves' Lair. It comes with 17 new maps and pretty much all graphics completely replaced. No new sounds though.

In The Wolves' Lair offers a rather unique setting and storyline as far as Wolfenstein mods go. It's 1945 and while war in Europe is over, the Pacific Theater has not yet been decided. It's close though. Japan is reduced to defending their home islands and watching helplessly as Hiroshima and Nagasaki turn to ruins in a flash. Emperor Hirohito wants to surrender and has personally recorded an official announcement on tape. However, the tape was intercepted by agents of the military (who still intend to continue the war). What do? Obviously, infiltrate their headquarters, reclaim the tape and release it to the public, murdering hundreds of fierce warriors along the way including Hideki Tojo himself... before the Yankees drop more bombs.

I'm not actually sure this is the proper full version. What I have is marked as "XMAS" (even though there's nothing Christmas-y about it) and came with no documentation. There is also a 5-level demo, and it's where the above story comes from. Still, the game looks and feels like the complete thing. Should I ever find another version, I'll compare them carefully and decide what to do next.
Oh, yeah, there's *another* patch. Version 1.6 increases maximum mouse sensitivity and makes enemies slightly easier to hit. I have also re-uploaded The Spear of Longinus because a flaw in my map converter caused mistakes in some maps. Nothing game-breaking though, just a couple objects or enemies missing in a few maps.
Jeimuzu73

[RELEASE] MacenWolf!

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

Do you have the palette for Macenwolf mods so I can extract the graphics without any discoloration?
serpens
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Post by serpens »

As the modding reference explains, the palette is included with main downloads. The files are called gamepal.pal and gamepal2.pal.
Jeimuzu73

[RELEASE] MacenWolf!

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

Oh, thanks. Glad to know it works with the other MacenWolf VSWAPs besides the original.
Tricob
<b>Moderator</b>

Post by Tricob »

I also have the palette sitting around some place in BMP format. It hasn't been uploaded yet. I've seen one upload of the picture file elsewhere, but the palette info got botched somehow; most of the colors were in the wrong place.
serpens
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

[RELEASE] MacenWolf!

Post by serpens »

This week I'm reaching into the murkiest, godforsaken depths of time to bring you two of the most obscure releases around. They are called Hard and Hard Game. No kidding. One is a single floor Second Encounter mapset, one is an 8-floor Third Encounter mapset and that's all she wrote. I have no idea who their authors are, where do they come from, what's their story, why they exist. They're just maps, fairly competent but basic maps surrounded by a mystery that will never be solved. This is pure art.

Hard is only one map, but so packed with enemies at times, it lives up to its name. Hard Game is easier, but things do get a bit crowded later on.

In the meantime I was also notified of various sound problems accompanying the port and will look into solving them when feasible. No patch yet, but hopefully soon.
Hard

===Credits===
Lost and forgotten.

Download:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/macenwolf/downloads/hard1

Hard Game

===Credits===
Gone with the wind.

Download:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/macenwolf/do ... /hard-game
serpens
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

[RELEASE] MacenWolf!

Post by serpens »

Hello! Due to external circumstances I wasn't able to port a new mod on time, so I decided to go ahead and postpone the whole thing until Sunday. Maybe this will help me keep a weekly schedule in the future, somehow. But before we get around to discussing the new ports, I have a few announcements to make.

First, there's a small and cozy but active Discord server, focused on Wolf3D, that I'd like to plug here:
The server has already been posted about on DHW, in this thread, but I wanted to plug it again. How is it relevant? Why, because both main MacenWolf developers (Nexion and yours truly) can be found there. And if you only care about Wolf4SDL, that's good too because the newly appointed (and working hard) Wolf4SDL code base overlord is there too. We're all evil people in there, but you might still want to come over and talk for a bit.

Second thing, another patch! I've received some reports about sound issues plaguing the mod. To everyone who commented or messaged me about this: you were right, thank you! I did my best to eliminate clicks and pops at the beginning of many sounds, made sure the music loops better and the volume of a few sound effects is balanced better. Ammo boxes now play the proper effect when picked up. Pushwalls finally sound as they should. One thing I did not actually touch is the machine gun sound. One guy told me it's too quiet, but it's actually imported as it was on Mac, without any alterations.

Well, enough yammering. Download the patch here:
Oh, and another minor update: I have determined the author of 48 Hours to be Mike Hunter. Hi, Mike!

Now about the new mod. This release is dedicated to the memory of everyone's favourite murderous tyrant; it's called Hitler's Chalet. And unlike most Mac mods, it's actually very well documented! A 3rd Encounter mod made by Ian Brown (who wants you to contact him at ian.brown (at) sparticus.net) during 2001 and 2002, it takes place in the Bavarian Alps where many top Nazis set up their hideouts and are on duty to protect Hitler himself. You'll find yourself fighting hordes of German soldiers as you battle through 12 rather compact but interesting maps, including the Eagle's Nest and Berghof residence (the titular chalet) where the man himself resides. It's a pretty neat mod that combines indoor and outdoor areas in some creative ways. Most graphics are new, some unique to this mod.

And I know the intermission screen is broken; it's that way on Mac too, believe it or not.

===Credits===

Ian Brown. If you're reading this, kudos for writing up actual documentation for your mod.

Download here... And let's hope I can release the next thing on time.
Tricob
<b>Moderator</b>

Post by Tricob »

Is there a glitch? I'm getting a grey sky with black around the mountains in every screenshot. Shouldn't the entire ceiling be black instead, or the background above the mountains be a different color?