Wolfenstein Collection

Support for games made by AReyeP & MCS

Moderators: ronwolf1705, Tricob, AReyeP, MCS

Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Wolfenstein Collection

Post by Chris »

Hey, I'm liking this. I just downloaded it today, and wasn't really aware of it's existance until I visited this forum (well, i never really noticed it stand out... i guess). There's no text file or ingame readme that brags about it's features, there's no extra files at all actually --- which is great! I love it how the music and sounds have a Blake Stone twist to them; yet how everything else sticks to a wolf3d vein. I don't know, my view of a great addon is changing according to what is (and is not) being produced; and this game captures something I haven't felt for a while, and it's something that I have an ambition to explore through.

This is really good stuff; not because it's fancy or professional, but because it has a real personal feel to it. I get the impression that when MCS made these levels, he wanted to explore with his own creative ideas while adding cool elements from things he liked. I guess that's what everybody tries to do, but he seems to be doing it in context with things that are great but are lacking in most levels nowadays. Whatever his influences were, I admire them as well. This game lets me see a side of Martin that I haven't really seen too clearly before, a more vulnerable yet adventurous side... and I like it. This, in a strange sort of way, makes me almost wish that MCS would drop the whole SOD3 stuff and go solo again. He seems to have potential in every area of wolf3d editing -- not just the source code...
Arielus
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

I agree...

Post by Arielus »

I must say I definitely agree. Well... I honestly wouldn't like MCS to drop End Of Destiny at all... no way, dude! But I do agree on the fact that Wolfenstein Collection reveals another side of the MCS we all know. As you say, it's some kinda reflection of his "style", if you know what I mean. There're no source code changes at all, only minor graphs and sounds mods; so it's only the map design what lets us see how MCS thinks, feels Wolf-wise.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe all this is not true. Anyway it's great to see that the man whom most of the community sees as the best Wolf coder has something more to give than excellent new code features. They'll be always welcome, but if he ever feels like going back again to the original feeling Wolfenstein Collection produces, we can definitely say he'll succeed!

Arielus.
Metal lives forever... blazing on and on!!!
The Master
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

Post by The Master »

Yeah, I'd have to agree.

I've been playing it just recently now that you suggested it Chris, and it is great.

Wolf Collection is proof along with things like Conflict in the Featherland, Schabbs 2000, and others that you really don't need major graphics or source or anything changes to make a really great Wolfenstein game.

Now, I'm not dissing the mods with lots of changes, they're totally awesome, but I'm saying you can also make a great addon without all that stuff. There's something to be said for both sides.
Zach
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Post by Zach »

Yea I downloaded it a year ago and well it seemed pretty good. I mean the levels were very well built but for some reason I couldn't quite get into it. It's probably just me. Still it's a helluva lot better than most stuff out there. It's definitely not because there weren't big features or anything (I'm not that shallow). I don't know why... you guys have inspired me to give it another chance, that's for sure :) ... plus I only played a few levels.
The Master wrote:Wolf Collection is proof along with things like Conflict in the Featherland, Schabbs 2000, and others that you really don't need major graphics or source or anything changes to make a really great Wolfenstein game.

Now, I'm not dissing the mods with lots of changes, they're totally awesome, but I'm saying you can also make a great addon without all that stuff. There's something to be said for both sides.
@ Master: I liked the way you put it. I totally agree. A lot of people like to make it sound like big feature mods suck (even though they probably have a blast playing them...) and that level only mods are the best. While I do have a LOT of respect for someone who can make a level only mod good (MCS, B.J. Rowan, Gary Ragland and such) because it's bare minimum, no gloss, levels and it's hard to make that kind of thing fun (without being Wolfenstein 3D or Spear of Destiny ;))
ella guro
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Post by ella guro »

To be honest, I never quite go into Wolf Collection. I admire the personal feel to everything and the effort and complexity, but it was awfully boring. I don't mind symmetry and mazes, but when they're repeated ad nauseum they don't really work at all, in my mind. Also, while there was obviously no doubt that MCS had some cool ideas, I wouldn't put it up there with Conflict in the Fatherland.

Those are just my opinions though. As we've obviously all seen, MCS has spectactular coding abilities. And the fact that he could make a decent add-on without any of the extreme coding is further proof that he's a cool guy.
the goldheart mountaintop queen directory
Zach
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Post by Zach »

I couldn't have said it better myself Adhesive Boy aka Various Obscenities aka Jack Ryerson! :D
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Collection of Wolf3d Thoughts in a Treasure Box...

Post by Chris »

It's great reading lots of these classic messages when everyone had such thoughtful opinions to share. I think some of the best threads here are the ones that were in the waking moments of this forums existance, when everything was new and exciting. I'm glad posts like this one are still in the archive; reading about everyone's opinions in topics like this really brings out the best in me sometimes! Great memories. :)

Sure, there are still alot of great posts being created now, and with the whole bullet system gone and people back in school... things are looking alot more organized and content driven than they were in the summertime; but it's still nice to look back on threads like this once in awhile, and remember the pashion we had for our awakening discoveries when we discussed them together as a group. Mmmm, oh yeah...

Any of you newer members have any thoughts to contribute in regards to 'Wolf Collection'?
Zach
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Re: Wolfenstein Collection

Post by Zach »

Ah the days when I wasn't a smart-ass little [Censored].

Post by Guest »

I would download this and try it out, but alas, my computer refuses to allow me to play dos games. Which is why I haven't worked on my Wolf TC. I have to get a pentium 1.... with win98... yeah, that'll work... *runs around the house looking for spare parts*

Post by Guest »

I Think It's Pretty Cool,Except For These Small Problems:

1-You Don't Have A Gun.
2-The Levels Are Too Maze Like.
3-In The First Few Levels You Only Fight Dogs.(I Like The Gunfights)
4-Hardly Any Blood.

So With Those Features,I Really Can't Say It's Absolutely Killer But I Rate It A 7 Point 0 On My Coolness Meter.

:storm: My Name Is Jemanie Davidsson,And I Am The Lord Of Thunder. :storm:
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Post by Thomas »

When I first got into mods back in 2003, Wolfenstein Collection was one of quite a few in the first batch I downloaded. I don't know what it was... I remember trying and trying and not quite understanding the subtleties in using gray stone #1, #2 and #3 and distinguishing vital features using these different varieties. This was only something I learned to understand sometime after getting into mapping. But what grabbed me about the mod back then, even though I was hopeless at it and got stuck quite often, and never did understand where the gun was and where's the blood? - what grabbed me was the music and the sounds. They had absolutely nothing to do with Wolf3D but yet somehow you get slid into a groove of Blake Stone music, which is spacey, bashful and very uptempo for the most part - and it fits the mod perfectly. It also fits the very hip digital status bar.

The years came and went, and this mod kept pissing me off because I knew there had to be something about it but I could never in a million years figure out what to do and how to get the keys and getting 100 % in any category seemed completely impossible. Until two days ago. I finally figured out the key to survival. And that was to survive with keys found in hidden passages. Some levels even saw me get 3 x 100 %, one even (forgot which) upon first play! It has to be said, that I remember getting stuck in level 7 all those years ago and never really returned until now. It seems embarrassing. All the mods I have played since, even mods I played upon release and liked that were based on it (Joshua Waight's Secret Missions series) helped me forge the line of thought that went into playing this set. Interesting to see Ryerson not liking the mod so much, in the old comment up top. I can definitely feel a lot of Chemical Warfare in this mod, surely there must have been some influence. Just look at the usage of gray steel panel, secret tricks, map layout and the usage of gray cobblestone texture. Until yesterday I had no idea that this mod used the Spear of Destiny! Shows how little mind I have paid it over the years. And I regret that now. But on the other hand, back in the day, I probably would've tired of this mod quickly. But if you want challenge, no-holds-barred secret areas that feature keys vital to the gameplay, borderline sadistic maps (level 15 anyone?!?!) you are really in for a treat. I thank you MCS for broadening my mind and ideas about maps and what one can get away with (or have balls enough to do even if one shouldn't get away with it) and for the fun, the annoyance, the satisfaction of finally reaching the final level and seeing Hitler hath melt before mine eyes.

To anyone who joined the party post-December 2003 (myself included) --- what are your thoughts, observations and memories of Wolfenstein Collection? Think of something like Untergang and look at level 22. The secret levels are even "challenges" lined up the same way the End of Destiny levels are. Definitely ahead of its time, this.