What does this error mean?

Wolf3d Code & Tutorial Development Area

Moderators: Andy_Nonymous, Adam Biser, BrotherTank

LukeTheAverageDev

What does this error mean?

Post by LukeTheAverageDev »

Well... I've thought to myself why not give ecwolf and lzwolf a break and get to real coding with C and Borland C Compiler; i've got everything right so far, even got past that pesky tasm... but for my surprise: it was not over! when i tried to compile it, because surprise surprise: Fatal WOLFHACK.C 71: Bad call of intrinsic function...
i have 2 ways for feeling about this:

1. words cannot describe my entire confusion
2. what the hell do i do now?

is there anybody who knows what did just happened?
Wolf3DGuy
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Re: What does this error mean?

Post by Wolf3DGuy »

Remove WOLFHACK.C from your project along with C0.ASM and WHACK_A.ASM, you don't really need those, unless you wanna go fancy with flat textures.
LukeTheAverageDev

Wolf3DGuy wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 11:30 pm Remove WOLFHACK.C from your project along with C0.ASM and WHACK_A.ASM, you don't really need those, unless you wanna go fancy with flat textures.
ok, i'll try that...
LukeTheAverageDev

it didn't work...

WL_DRAW had the same error...
KS-Presto
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

Post by KS-Presto »

LukeTheAverageDev wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 11:27 pm Fatal WOLFHACK.C 71: Bad call of intrinsic function
The function call on line 71 is outportb, one of the Borland library functions. I've never had this error before, but you may have set the project up incorrectly. Could you give some more details?
LukeTheAverageDev

KS-Presto wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 12:53 am
LukeTheAverageDev wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 11:27 pm Fatal WOLFHACK.C 71: Bad call of intrinsic function
The function call on line 71 is outportb, one of the Borland library functions. I've never had this error before, but you may have set the project up incorrectly. Could you give some more details?
Ok, Wolf3dGuy told me the Solution for the WOLFHACK.C, but i'm now stuck on WL_DRAW.C with the same error: Bad Call of Intrinsic Function... I Think i've Setted up the Project Correctly, though; but i'm not sure... the Error is at Line 1341.
LukeTheAverageDev

Update: Fixed the WL_DRAW.C error, by deleting the line... now there's another one! this time at id_in.c at line 150...
shodan
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Post by shodan »

LukeTheAverageDev wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 11:27 pm i have 2 ways for feeling about this:
1. words cannot describe my entire confusion
2. what the hell do i do now?
I don't have anything to add to the actual topic, but... relatable.
Look at you, hacker...
KS-Presto
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

Post by KS-Presto »

LukeTheAverageDev wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 2:47 am Update: Fixed the WL_DRAW.C error, by deleting the line... now there's another one! this time at id_in.c at line 150...
You can't just delete every line that's causing the error, because they're important. As I said, Borland seems to be having trouble recognizing its own library functions, which probably means the project hasn't been setup properly. But unless you show us how you've set it up, there's little we can do to help.
LukeTheAverageDev

KS-Presto wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 10:49 am
LukeTheAverageDev wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 2:47 am Update: Fixed the WL_DRAW.C error, by deleting the line... now there's another one! this time at id_in.c at line 150...
You can't just delete every line that's causing the error, because they're important. As I said, Borland seems to be having trouble recognizing its own library functions, which probably means the project hasn't been setup properly. But unless you show us how you've set it up, there's little we can do to help.
ok... fair enough.
Wolf3DGuy
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Post by Wolf3DGuy »

Update: We have resolved the issue in discord DMs! :beer:
KS-Presto
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

Post by KS-Presto »

Mind sharing the cause of the trouble, in case someone else has the same problem?
Wolf3DGuy
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Post by Wolf3DGuy »

All we did was starting it all over again from scratch and I guided him through and explained how to set borland up properly. So the real cause of the issue was not revealed lol, maybe borland couldn't find the directories properly, not entirely sure. I am glad we could get it to work in the end.
LukeTheAverageDev

UPDATE: Wolf3DGuy Actually Helped me Out and Sent me a Working SDK! but there's a new problem:

Code: Select all

1236 void GameLoop (void)
1237 {
1238 	int i,xl,yl,xh,yh;
1239 	char num[20];
1240 	boolean	died;

1473			default:
1474				ClearMemory ();
1475				break;
1478 	} while (1);
1480 }

Did those Pieces of Code look Functional to any of y'all? in case if it looks Functional to you... YOU ARE WRONG!

ERROR WL_GAME.C 1236: Declaration is not allowed here
	ERROR WL_GAME.C 1237: Declaration Syntax Error
	ERROR WL_GAME.C 1482: Declaration missing ;
	ERROR WL_GAME.C 1482: Compound Statement missing }

what do i do now?
Off Topic
Context: those Pieces of Code Comes from a WL_GAME file,
while i was trying to remove the lives feature, but then when i compiled 4 errors happened.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KS-Presto
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

Post by KS-Presto »

Anyone with basic knowledge of C would notice immediately that the code you posted won't even compile, let alone be functional. You deleted the closing brace of the switch statement when making whatever changes you made, as the errors point out. Be careful when removing (or adding) code that opening & closing braces still match.
LukeTheAverageDev

KS-Presto wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 9:12 pm You deleted the closing brace of the switch statement when making whatever changes you made, as the errors point out. Be careful when removing (or adding) code that opening & closing braces still match.
Wow, you're Right when i did what you suggested the errors at the end of the file just vanished... guess i'm a really dumb idiot!
KS-Presto
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

Post by KS-Presto »

No, you just clearly didn't know what you were doing. And that's OK, we all started off with basic syntax errors! ^^+
LukeTheAverageDev

then what does the first 2 errors mean?
KS-Presto
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

Post by KS-Presto »

I can't say, I don't have enough context. Maybe you left another trailing brace further up? Review the changes you made carefully by comparing them to the original source, and you should spot the mistake(s). If you're really stumped then feel free to post the changes you made, but try to fix it yourself first.
LukeTheAverageDev

KS-Presto wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 11:21 pm Maybe you left another trailing brace further up?
i swear to god that that there's just comments 10 lines before the actual code i was stuck in...
but maybe it's... nevermind it was just the average wolf4sdl that sneaked into my DOS code without i knowing it was there...
so this mean...

yay! i'm over with the errors! but now i have to solve the warnings...
LukeTheAverageDev

UPDATE:
i fixed the warnings, but now when i try to run it... it crashes and the screen stays black!
i will upload the source code incase if anyone wants to inspect it to see what's wrong... because i see nothing wrong with the code... the source code will be in mediafire because i don't know any other site that hosts files...

i'm stupid 2: eletric boogaloo