Original demo playback

For the discussion and creation of tutorials for use with the SDL Version of the Wolfenstein Source

Moderators: ronwolf1705, TheTalentedMrLeo, Schabbs, Andy_Nonymous

KS-Presto
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

Original demo playback

Post by KS-Presto »

Can anybody confirm that the 2nd demo (on E5M4) works correctly with PLAYDEMOLIKEORIGINAL defined in this version of Wolf4SDL? I've found it desyncs shortly after picking up the chaingun, with the player ending up getting stuck on one of the brown plants by the door. The demo definitely works on an old version of Wolf4SDL (1.7), but I don't know what change(s) might have broken it in this version. The first demo works perfectly; it seems to be related to picking up the chaingun, as it was in the original game.

Is it really worth trying to support the original demos? It's a bit of a kludge, and I'm always afraid that I'll end up breaking them (I might have already) when making any changes. For example, I want to add WASD support, and that means writing a horizontal axis and 32 bit button value to the demo buffer, which will obviously be incompatible with the original demo format. My current plan is to patch the original demo chunks with dummy bytes so that it reads the correct inputs, but is it worth it?

Does anybody actually watch the demos, let alone care about them? Would it be a good idea to create a "vanilla" branch with the original control scheme and demo playback, plus all the bug fixes removed? Or would it be acceptable to create new demo chunks for Wolf4SDL and have DEMOSEXTERN disabled by default?
Wolf3DGuy
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Re: Original demo playback

Post by Wolf3DGuy »

I can confirm that it does not work on my end either. lol
It desync right after the chaingun.

As a pro vanilla type of a guy I would say, keep the support for the original demos, but then I always had the most trouble with them and it is a pain in the arse, sometimes they desynced seemingly for no reason at all. For that reason alone I wouldn't mind them gone. lol
It is your port, do what you feel is best. I'll be fine either way. Even if I bother recording my own demos I decided not to care if they desync for everyone else in different ways.
KS-Presto
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

Post by KS-Presto »

Wolf3DGuy wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 11:17 pmAs a pro vanilla type of a guy I would say, keep the support for the original demos, but then I always had the most trouble with them and it is a pain in the arse, sometimes they desynced seemingly for no reason at all. For that reason alone I wouldn't mind them gone. lol
Yes, that's why I'm considering a vanilla branch of the repo, where a lot of the fixes over the years can be reversed. It might even be feasible to emulate some of the memory corruption bugs that were exploited in certain maps, like the infamous Temporary Insanity. It would be cool to get that to work with Wolf4SDL.
It is your port, do what you feel is best. I'll be fine either way. Even if I bother recording my own demos I decided not to care if they desync for everyone else in different ways.
Well that's the thing, it's not "my" port, I'm just maintaining this repository. Of course everyone is free to make their own forks and do whatever, but I'd prefer not to deviate from the original purpose of this repo. Though judging by the deafening silence in this thread, nobody seems to care anymore anyway, which is fine, I guess, but it's hardly worth bothering with at all in that case.
Wolf3DGuy
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Post by Wolf3DGuy »

I wouldn't expect much activity over here. The new kids don't give a damn about the site and use Discord as their playground mainly (and you know the discord servers too well...) while people who used DHW for a long time slowly fade away, leave and the place feels like a retirement home where we watch TV in pure silence until something breaks the silence that sparks some activity until it goes dead silence again.