Chat on the Original Spear of Destiny Game

Moderators: Dean, ronwolf1705, Arielus

Reactor
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Best stats for Spear of Destiny

Post by Reactor »

Greetings!

I know this one is an old game (technically it's older than Wolfenstein 3D, because it takes place BEFORE the events of Wolfenstein 3D), but I would feel EXTREMELY sorry if all your (or my) efforts would go to waste just because years are passing by. So tell me, people, which were your best percentages after beatin' the game?

100% kill ratio is not possible because of the ghosts (even if you can temporarily kill'em).
100% secret ratio is possible (as far as I'm aware), but that means you lose a Chaingun. This problematic pushwall is located at Floor 20.
100% treasure ratio is not possible, because the pushwalls slide 2 tiles ahead now (at least on most 486 and 586 machines), and some pushwalls are pressed onto a treasure item. Sh*t.
INCOMING TRANSMISSION
"Marine! Er....never mind..."
TRANSMISSION ENDS
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Post by Thomas »

Last edited by Thomas on Mon May 30, 2011 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tricob
<b>Moderator</b>

Post by Tricob »

My percentages did fine, all the way up to 100% on every level, and then I got to Floor 12, where it all went kaput. :-P Lots of Pushwalls you have to push in a certain order, and push in certain directions as well. I was so infuriated that I never bothered to get 100% on the remaining levels. :(
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Re: Best stats for Spear of Destiny

Post by Chris »

Reactor wrote:100% kill ratio is not possible because of the ghosts (even if you can temporarily kill'em).
The secret and boss levels don't count towards your Total Ratios, just so you know. :tup:

Cool topic, by the way. If you like stats, I made an exe like 6 years ago that fixes the 'ratios after level 8 don't save' and 'pushwalls can move 3 spaces' glitches in SOD here. It's called sod_v15.zip. You can check all your level stats once you reach the Angel of Death level on it too. It's possible to get under 99.9 seconds on every level in SOD on Don't Hurt Me, if you want a fun challenge to try. I remember talking to ack about getting 12:27 Total Time on that skill level once, and I'm pretty sure he got a similar time too. The zip also has a saved game by John Bucksnort, if you want something to compare your stats to. :beer:

I imagine most people would rather use the SDL port of Spear nowadays though, which does fix these SOD 'bugs' as well.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Post by Thomas »

Last edited by Thomas on Mon May 30, 2011 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reactor
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Post by Reactor »

Haha, well, compared to the original Wolfenstein 3D, Spear of Destiny is a piece of cake :) I mean, the infamous E2F8 maze where it was impossible to achieve 100% secret ratio (although 100% kill ratio was possible). I didn't find any pushwall solutions too complicated, but I must confess, the "Sokoban style" pushwall riddles were driving me nuts :D You know what I'm referring to...where you find several pushwalls right next to each other, and you need to figure out the correct order how to push'em to obtain all the valuables which are hiding behind them.

I've met this at Floor 20 (a little flashback to Wolfenstein 3D episode 4 and 6 maybe?). I even messed up the brown marble wall section as well, where you need to choose from 2 different pushwalls. Until I saw the level map, I never understood this structure :D
INCOMING TRANSMISSION
"Marine! Er....never mind..."
TRANSMISSION ENDS
Tricob
<b>Moderator</b>

Re: Best stats for Spear of Destiny

Post by Tricob »

Chris wrote:I imagine most people would rather use the SDL port of Spear nowadays though, which does fix these SOD 'bugs' as well.
Not quite all of them; I'm surprised no one's posted a bugfix for its one problem on Level 21. I've been meaning to post the correction for some time now, but I have yet to try out the bugfix myself; just been so busy coding for Sonder lately. :-?