Chat on the Original Spear of Destiny Game

Moderators: Dean, ronwolf1705, Arielus

Biergut
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Trivia-The reason they're called * The Lost Episodes *

Post by Biergut »

Colonel Bill here

So for anyone that wants to know, I was the first one to call them "Lost Episodes".
In the late 1990's everyone had Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny, but it seemed like no one had the elusive episodes 2 and 3. I had heard of them but couldn't find them - searched everywhere. Then finally, I think I found them on the Newsgroups (usenet). None of the editors at the time would work right on them. I was able to extract the audio in one big lump from the vswap file.
I took the images and audio and made my patch for Wolfenstein shareware version and decided to call it "The Lost Episode" since on television at the time they were using that name to release old shows that were hardly ever seen.
I'm surprised that the name seemed to have "stuck". :lol:

That is all.
Last edited by Biergut on Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ronwolf1705
<b>Moderator</b>

Post by ronwolf1705 »

That's an interesting bit of trivia, thanks for sharing. :)
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Post by doomjedi »

Maaan, I love retro trivia like that...
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Post by Chris »

Haha yes, I was telling people on discord this a few months ago, the origin of how people started calling the Mission Packs the "Lost Episodes" and how it's funny that everyone calls them this instead. Nice to have the official word from the creator of "Lost Episodes". :lol: It was a really cool shareware set at first to a person who hadn't seen the graphics or sounds, though I never made it far beyond level 1 in that one because of the creator style maps included.

I actually ordered the Spear Super CD in 1994 or 1995 and had all 3 episodes before even having internet though. The Mission Packs were being advertised on many PC game magazines at the time and I remember seeing an advertisement at a friends house for it and thinking it was the coolest looking thing ever, it's what got me started into buying PC Gamer.

https://archive.org/details/PCGamer199406/page/n5

The box came with a postcard you could send back to Formgen to "make yourself INDESTRUCTABLE" too. I sent in the green form in the mail to Bolton, Ontario and got a yellow one back from them with the code. It looked like this :D

(sorry if this is going a bit off-topic...)
Biergut
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Post by Biergut »

Chris, it's funny you mentioned "creator style maps", because from what I remember, some or all of the maps for Lost Episode were made with the creator program. What a mess! I remember spending more time fixing them than if I had made them fresh! But Creator came with the Mission 2 and 3 files and was my latest toy.
I remember being in a rush to release that patch before someone else did it. I wish I would have spent more time on it. Oh well . . .
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Post by Thomas »

Very happy to see you are back and yes, I recall reading the Lost Episodes story way back - I think it is even here on the forum somewhere.

Just where did Bill "Neisius" come from? I know Andy discussed your site and some of your projects at times, and he always referred to you as Colonel Bill. I'm just curious.

@Chris neat post!! Pretty cool you still kept the yellow form.
Biergut
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Post by Biergut »

Thomas wrote:Just where did Bill "Neisius" come from?
There were two "Bills". One wrote the original Wolfenstein graphics editor and I think the sound editor (Bill Kirby).
The other one (Bill Neisius) made two of some of the first Wolfenstein graphic patches. One called Pacman and another with the clown head. He didn't change the maps or sounds on his mods. These patches could only be found on a few university FTP sites. I took both of his mods and combined them together (also made a red pacman), added sounds, new maps, some new walls, sprites. At the same time I was using the name "Colonel Bill". I guess someone assumed I was the same Bill. Back in those days it was acceptable to use other peoples mods to make new ones (as long as credit was given to the original authors).
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Post by Thomas »

Thanks for clearing that up. I must admit I am sympathetic to those who confused all the Bills.

Played Hallowein recently and it has aged really, really well. Props to you on that one.
Biergut
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Post by Biergut »

Thomas wrote:Thanks for clearing that up. I must admit I am sympathetic to those who confused all the Bills.

Played Hallowein recently and it has aged really, really well. Props to you on that one.
Thank you. I was thinking of updating Hallowein for SDL. Add some floors and ceilings, touch up some graphics, adjust some sound volumes. That would make it the third version.

Mike (Colonel Bill)
Technopeasant
Necromancer

Post by Technopeasant »

That sounds like it would be really fun.
Currently Playing: Des Mannes bester Freund

Last Played: https://wl6.fandom.com/wiki/User:Techno ... #Completed